The Student Room Group

Would you choose money over your dreams?

You have two offers on the table, one will guarantee you wealth and the other will pay okay but will make you happy.

Which would you choose an why?

*it's not to say the choice that will make you wealthy will leave you unhappy, it just won't fulfil the void that the other can.

* assume here that the wealth you will amount in 10 years will be in the millions and far far greater than that of your dream job.

*assume the dreamjob will guarantee you a decent middle class lifestyle
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Glossed101
You have two offers on the table, one will guarantee you wealth and the other will pay okay but will make you happy.

Which would you choose an why?

*it's not to say the choice that will make you wealthy will leave you unhappy, it just won't fulfil the void that the other can.

* assume here that the wealth you will amount in 10 years will be in the millions and far far greater than that of your dream job.

*assume the dreamjob will guarantee you a decent middle class lifestyle

Having kind of ventured down the money route (don't have any money to show for it), I'd say I would follow my dreams.

Money is only able to fulfil one of your needs. Unless money is of central importance to you, it's not going to be something that will sustain you for long.

Besides, if you want to make money, there are ways around it. So in a way, you can have your cake and eat it too.

One of the lessons I've picked up in life is that you should really try to minimise the regrets you will have. Not following your dreams will more than likely create more regrets than not having money.

The ironic thing is to make money, you have to be in it for more than just the money. It will be the first question employers will ask you, and it will be the first thing other people will ask you if you don't fit the mould. Not many jobs will fit your personality and values, whilst still be able to make a lot of money from it.
Dreams over money any day
Reply 3
Dreams. Is this even a question? Lol.
Reply 4
Money
Reply 5
Money and once I’m rich enough I’ll pursue my dream
Money, Ill do my dreams after that and accelerate them with the money.
Original post by Yazomi

Jinx
Reply 8
Original post by MindMax2000
Having kind of ventured down the money route (don't have any money to show for it), I'd say I would follow my dreams.

Money is only able to fulfil one of your needs. Unless money is of central importance to you, it's not going to be something that will sustain you for long.

Besides, if you want to make money, there are ways around it. So in a way, you can have your cake and eat it too.

One of the lessons I've picked up in life is that you should really try to minimise the regrets you will have. Not following your dreams will more than likely create more regrets than not having money.

The ironic thing is to make money, you have to be in it for more than just the money. It will be the first question employers will ask you, and it will be the first thing other people will ask you if you don't fit the mould. Not many jobs will fit your personality and values, whilst still be able to make a lot of money from it.

Thanks for your reply. I'm in a bit of a sticky situation at the moment. I have 2 amazing job offers, one in finance and another in research. Deciding what route to go down has been causing alot of innter turmoil. Whatever I choose, I know I'll have some regrets. But I like your statement about minimising regrets. That's a really good point.
Reply 9
Original post by Jonathanツ
Jinx

Great minds think alike
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Dreams over money any day

We humans can easily create fictitious scenarios of what our dream job may look and feel like.

What if my dream is really a nightmare?
what if your dream is to have money?
Original post by gtty123
Dreams. Is this even a question? Lol.

Can I book you for a 1 to 1 consultation? You've managed to answer all my questions in one seemingly simple and sweet response.
Original post by Yazomi

Original post by Jonathanツ
Money, Ill do my dreams after that and accelerate them with the money.

So you'll buy your dream?
Original post by nikkiblonsky
what if your dream is to have money?

That'd make life easier
Reply 15
So you'll buy your dream?

Not buy- like I feel like my dream is more of a mixture of different hobbies but I’m not talented enough to base my whole entire life on them and it definitely wouldn’t be able to financially support myself
We humans can easily create fictitious scenarios of what our dream job may look and feel like.

What if my dream is really a nightmare?

Hooman go brrrr
Can I book you for a 1 to 1 consultation? You've managed to answer all my questions in one seemingly simple and sweet response.

I do PM's - if that helps :biggrin:.

Spoiler

well a decent middle class lifestyle is not bad at all
i certainly did not grow up middle class
Here is how money usually helps achieve dreams:

Your dream is to travel - Congratulations you now own a private jet

Your dream is to be a doctor - Congratulations you can buy the most talented tutors

Your dream is to become famous - Congratulations you have the money to do something crazy like Mr Beast

Your dream is to roam LA in a Lamborghini picking up the fittest chicks - Congratulations chicks dig money

I believe you get the gist of where I'm heading...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending