The Student Room Group

RAF 12 Year commitment.

I really want to join the RAF when I finish uni or when I am of age and hopefully become a pilot or gunner. What that I think may be stopping me in the future is the 12 year commitment, will I forced to be served the 12 year commitment? When I return to the civilian world will I be able to secure a job? Thank you, if anybody replies
Original post by KrishnaK08
I really want to join the RAF when I finish uni or when I am of age and hopefully become a pilot or gunner. What that I think may be stopping me in the future is the 12 year commitment, will I forced to be served the 12 year commitment? When I return to the civilian world will I be able to secure a job? Thank you, if anybody replies

12 year commitment is the contract, not too dissimilar to a contract you may get with a civilian job. If you are on a 12 year contract this just means, that unless the RAF renews or you get promoted (terms change again as they want to keep you), your last day has to be in 12 years time. This still means you can leave before, as you can apply to leave at any point (like handing in your notice for civvy job). For me I left at 9 year point with 6 month notice (notice duration is based on role, so if your role is short of staff they may ask for 12 months or longer) even though my contract was for 22 years.

Hope this helps, also just make sure you know wat each role does, as gunner and pilot are very, very different. You will get streamed on your aptitude and job vacancies also, so may not have all options open for you regardless.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Greg
Reply 2
Thanks for your help. Now I’m more worried about not making it into basic training, but worries come and go.
Reply 3
There's an Armed Forces section in this Careers Forum; you could post future questions on there.

What are your worries about not getting into the military?

And if pushed, which role would you chose and why, given that you are considering no qualifications required v GCSEs and A-levels or degree; officer v airmen, and moving into desk jobs and management v supervisory roles?
Reply 4
Original post by KrishnaK08

Pilot or gunner are two very different roles, with very different requirements and expectations. It's not realistic to look at them as an either/or. You need to do a lot more research on the RAF and what a career within the military entails before embarking on this path.
Reply 5
Hey Krishna, great that you are thinking of the RAF as a career, but can I ask what it is you want from life? Why does the pilot role interest you, why does the Gunner role interest you? Two completely different roles. If you’re serious about joining the Armed Forces, you have to be very clear what it is you aspire to and how you think the RAF can meet those aspirations. Life in the military is completely different to civvy street, so you really have to understand what you plan to get into. This means serious research. There is plenty of material on the official RAF Careers website, here on TSR and elsewhere. If you can’t find the information you’re after please ask the question on here, where there are a number of serving and retired service personnel who will be pleased to assist if possible.

In terms of a post service career, you will have many great opportunities for personal development within the military including the opportunity to take vocational and academic courses up to degree level. And, depending on your length of service, you will have a comprehensive resettlement scheme that will support you before and after service as you return to the civilian arena.

I retired after 32 years service at the age of 55 and was back in full time employment within 6 months in a completely different job to my role in the RAF and with significantly greater responsibilities than I had in the RAF. All my former colleagues who have left the RAF are in significant roles with an aviation link ( mil and civ) or in completely different roles. They’re all doing well post RAF, because of their training, confidence and transferable skills. Have no fear!

Quick Reply

Latest