The Student Room Group

Please help me choose a degree! Rank these degrees

I have no idea what to study! Ive bottled it down to these options:
- maths
- physics
- computer science
- chemical engineering

In terms of which one I would enjoy the most - I like all of them equally.
So now could someone please advise me on which degree is the best in terms of: Graduate employment and salary.

Also, I’m studying chemistry, physics, maths and further maths.

Thank you.
Original post by Nirjur
- maths
- physics
- computer science
- chemical engineering

So now could someone please advise me on which degree is the best in terms of: Graduate employment and salary.

Thank you.

Computer Science and Maths will defo give you the best salary and you will be in demand if you get into a top uni such as Oxbridge, Imperial. Chem eng is more niche but again, you will be well paid provided you make it to a top uni. If you become a charted chemical engineer, then you can be very well paid, but make sure you enjoy the field before you get into it, it’s a lot of work.

Physics is the least well paid if you stay in that field, although you will still have no problem getting a job. If you do physics degree and do graduate training programme to do management or accounting or something, or something like law etc you can still be well paid.

If I were you, I’d try to do a joint honours in maths and computer science, but chemical engineering can pay just as well. With all of these to get well paid you can go into finance etc, in which case the degree won’t matter as much. The most important thing is to smash your grades and get into a top university, for the best salary and prospects. For computer science however, the strength of the degree can vary hugely from the top universities to the lower ones. Doing straight computer science at a lower university will make it much harder to get a top job because there are so many of them. Same for Chem eng and Physics, less so for Maths (Mathematicians are always in demand!)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hariisawesome
Computer Science and Maths will defo give you the best salary and you will be in demand if you get into a top uni such as Oxbridge, Imperial. Chem eng is more niche but again, you will be well paid provided you make it to a top uni. If you become a charted chemical engineer, then you can be very well paid, but make sure you enjoy the field before you get into it, it’s a lot of work.

Physics is the least well paid if you stay in that field, although you will still have no problem getting a job. If you do physics degree and do graduate training programme to do management or accounting or something, or something like law etc you can still be well paid.

If I were you, I’d try to do a joint honours in maths and computer science, but chemical engineering can pay just as well. With all of these to get well paid you can go into finance etc, in which case the degree won’t matter as much. The most important thing is to smash your grades and get into a top university, for the best salary and prospects. For computer science however, the strength of the degree can vary hugely from the top universities to the lower ones. Doing straight computer science at a lower university will make it much harder to get a top job because there are so many of them. Same for Chem eng and Physics, less so for Maths (Mathematicians are always in demand!)

Thank you so much for your detailed response. Would you say University of Birmingham is good for computer science? I know its quite good for chemical engineering and physics. If I study maths I’ll apply to Warwick which is good for maths, would you say it’s good for computer science as well? In terms of getting the top jobs.

The thing is I don’t want to study in London, would that put me at a disadvantage?
You have until next January to make this decision.

In the meantime - read this : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/i-want-to-go-to-uni-but-i-dont-know-what-to-study
Original post by Nirjur
- maths
- physics
- computer science
- chemical engineering

Thank you.

Graduate employment/salary is negligible.
Their is probably slightly more direct career options for engineering & CS but overall career options are very similar.

What will matter more is enjoying and doing well on the course.

Have a look at modules. And what the degrees cover content wise in more detail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending