The Student Room Group

Which Modules for BSc Psychology?

Hi,I've decided to return to study after a 15 year break at the OU, having applied to start Stage 1 this October. Part-time, so starting with DE100 Investigating Psychology.But having hard time deciding on the other modules, for instance, options for Stage 1 are DD102 Introduction to Social Science or E102 Introduction to Childhood studies
Hi there,

I studied DE100 and thoroughly enjoyed it :smile:

I never actually studied another Level 1 module because I transferred credits.

I'd look at the content pages and go fo what you're most interested in. I took the child-related course at second year level and many on the module had studied E102. That being said, it isn't a necessity.

Check if they have exams, join current year Facebook groups and ask them for advice/if they'd recommend the courses etc.

Best of luck!
Reply 2
i took social sciences. child development is a compulsory module at level 2 (i think..it keeps changing. compulsory for me anyway). It's good to have broad knowledge and the social science module is interesting.
Hi there,

Psychology is such a great course as you have variety in what can be learnt from sport psychology to cognitive psychology! I would suggest reading in more detail about the modules, seeing which one sparks your interest the most and from there deciding which path to take. Another angle for you would be thinking into the future about where you are looking to advance your career in Psychology and seeing what knowledge may be of benefit to you. At the beginning, I was unsure of how to proceed after my degree (currently doing Criminology and Psychology undergrad) and loved having a variety of modules looking at completely different areas of psychology; this really helped me to understand what I enjoyed learning the most in Psychology, so variety may also be a good idea for you!

Hope this helps

Toni Bennett
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by tee_2055
Hi,I've decided to return to study after a 15 year break at the OU, having applied to start Stage 1 this October. Part-time, so starting with DE100 Investigating Psychology.But having hard time deciding on the other modules, for instance, options for Stage 1 are DD102 Introduction to Social Science or E102 Introduction to Childhood studies

Hi there:smile:

I agree with the other comments on this thread! I would suggest looking at all the different modules and research into them a bit more to find out if you would really be interested in studying it! It's a great way to whittle it down because if you don't find it interesting, you may not want to pick it. As well, the way the modules are assessed would potentially be different. So i would suggest looking at how many exams or coursework you may have as this might have an impact on your decision. These are plans that I have to do when it comes to choosing my modules in last year :smile:

I hope this helps!

Becca (Psychology Student)

Quick Reply

Latest