The Student Room Group

I still can’t believe he did this to me

So I know this is likely to come across as dramatic but I really don’t think it is.

So my boyfriend forgot my birthday. I told him when it was about a few months ago and didn’t really expect him to remember it although I kept mentioning it in our conversations.

It hurt me a lot more than I thought it would and really made me feel like **** on my birthday and like he doesn’t care. He also forgot Valentine’s Day and said he would make it up to me.

He says he promises to do better but it just really really made me feel upset and I’m not quite sure why because my birthday was essentially a write off in lockdown!

I just can’t quite believe it happened and every time I think about it I start crying. I’m really not sure what to do it’s really shaken my faith in him if I’m honest.
It’s okay to feel annoyed at your boyfriend. It was your birthday! How long have you been dating? Was he apologetic after he forgot?
Original post by Anonymous
So I know this is likely to come across as dramatic but I really don’t think it is.

So my boyfriend forgot my birthday. I told him when it was about a few months ago and didn’t really expect him to remember it although I kept mentioning it in our conversations.

It hurt me a lot more than I thought it would and really made me feel like **** on my birthday and like he doesn’t care. He also forgot Valentine’s Day and said he would make it up to me.

He says he promises to do better but it just really really made me feel upset and I’m not quite sure why because my birthday was essentially a write off in lockdown!

I just can’t quite believe it happened and every time I think about it I start crying. I’m really not sure what to do it’s really shaken my faith in him if I’m honest.

leave
Forgeting your birthday after you reminded him is not acceptable. Its a special day for you and if he were a decent person he would have made you feel special.

Valentines is huge so there is no excuse for him forgetting that day.

These are all red flags honey, get rid of him.

It’s not a big deal imo, sometimes people are going through a lot and it’s an easy thing to forget if you’ve only mentioned it in passing
Reply 5
Not everyone celebrates birthdays and holidays the same. I dont think Id remember anyone's birthday if they didnt tell me, I hardly remember my own!
If birthdays and Valentines day are really a big deal to you, mention it to him a week in advance and then again the morning of the day.
Listen to 'Potential Breakup Song' by Aly and AJ :banana:

it will tell you what you need to know.

Spoiler

Reply 7
Why does everyone on here always say break up to every tiny problem in a relationship. Anyway you obviously don't love each other much if you can't talk through things like this together.
Original post by mmp2021
Why does everyone on here always say break up to every tiny problem in a relationship. Anyway you obviously don't love each other much if you can't talk through things like this together.

It's a teenage demographic mostly, and teenagers have no real relationship commitment to the point where they can just break up with people. It's hardly ever good advice if you ask me, and certainly not something which shows maturity to work through problems to strengthen long term relationships.
Reply 9
Forget his, he'll be just as hurt
Original post by SMEGGGY
Forget his, he'll be just as hurt

100% this!

as petty as it sounds this is what I do to my boyfriend. if he forgets mine with no genuine reason then i forget his.

i'm sorry but if i make the effort to remember important dates then he should do too and unless he has been going through some genuine stress or an illness, only then is it understandable that he forgot.
100% this!

as petty as it sounds this is what I do to my boyfriend. if he forgets mine with no genuine reason then i forget his.

i'm sorry but if i make the effort to remember important dates then he should do too and unless he has been going through some genuine stress or an illness, only then is it understandable that he forgot.

petty asf
Original post by !gilo2002
petty asf

and?

just cos you don't value yourself enough to not care about your girlfriend always forgetting about your important dates doesn't mean we're all the same. if you're dating me i expect you to remember this shiz

How is your boyfriend for the other 363 days of the year when it's not your birthday or Valentines?
Or make that 355 if you also include xmas, New Years, Halloween, Easter.

Focus on how he is for the 355 days of the year and not just the the 2 to 10 "special" days.

Any day in which you are not working and the 2 of you are together should be a really nice day. If, on the whole they are, then you have a great relationship that's well worth keeping.

Original post by mmp2021

A large proportion of the issues discussed in the Relationships section of this forum would be best addressed by dumping the other person. There's a lot of sunken cost fallacy going on - which is a very human behaviour.
There's also quite a lot of scarcity mindset going on. When a more realistic view of the world would be one of abundance.

As for this thread, it all depends on factors not mentioned so far by the original poster as to whether she should stay with her boyfriend or not.

Talking about this with the boyfriend is not the optimum route. As it's too likely to break out into an argument or come over as criticism or nagging. A better route is for the original poster to either tolerate it, or if it's the final straw on top of a load of other stuff that's not right in their relationship, to dump him.

Nobody's perfect. As imperfections go, forgetting anniversaries (which is all that a birthday and Valentines are) is a very tolerable one.

It's human nature as the honeymoon phase wears off to start noticing all the bad / annoying features in your partner and to take all their good features for granted. The relationships that happily last beyond the end of the honeymoon phase tend to be the ones where the bad features are tolerated and the good features appreciated.

I think you're over reacting given I've never celebrated my bday I'd probs not really care about peoples bdays that much

And valentine's I'd never celebrate valentines so yk it isn't really that bad
(edited 3 years ago)
Takes a special talent to forget Valentine's Day with the constant reminders on TV and in every shop you go into. Now he has proved he can forget Birthdays too, he is someone to hold onto.
Wow y'all really need to raise your standards if you think repeatedly 'forgetting' to celebrate your partner's special days is 'very tolerable', a 'tiny problem' and a 'small issue'?? and the best route is for OP to 'tolerate it'? Seriously :zomg: :frown:

Some of you saying that you would forget too if you weren't reminded can't read either, bc OP clearly stated she purposefully kept mentioning it and made it clear to him that these things are important to her. Yet you want her to ignore these major red flags that show he doesn't care enough about her or her feelings to put some effort in.

The bar is so low :nah:
People care different amounts about birthdays, valentine's day etc.

Personally, I've never been big on any of them. I almost forget my own birthday sometimes. If you were really bothered you should have said it was something you really cared about, instead of just "mentioning it". Like almost every problem this is best solved by talking to your boyfriend, not posting on TSR.
(edited 3 years ago)

How long have you two been dating? If it's for like 3+ years or something, he should know ur bday by now but if it's like a couple of months to a year, you can't blame him to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending