The Student Room Group

Access to nursing with learn direct

Scroll to see replies

I've just started the access course to midwifery through learn direct. Opened my laptop the other night to begin and my brain was like. Wow. I've been out of education for a long time so I'm a little rusty and I just found all the information s bit over wheming. I'm hoping I'll get into the swing of things?! Did anyone else feel the same at first??
Original post by Charjo1020
I've just started the access course to midwifery through learn direct. Opened my laptop the other night to begin and my brain was like. Wow. I've been out of education for a long time so I'm a little rusty and I just found all the information s bit over wheming. I'm hoping I'll get into the swing of things?! Did anyone else feel the same at first??

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I have been out of education for 12 years and felt very overwhelmed with the amount of writing required as not studied to this level before. Have just submitted the draft for my unit 2 assignment and found it challenging, it took me quite awhile to finish things. Although, each to their own and you may find it easier once you've started. Things will start to come back and you'll be fine. Goodluck! :smile:
Original post by gemgirl23
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I have been out of education for 12 years and felt very overwhelmed with the amount of writing required as not studied to this level before. Have just submitted the draft for my unit 2 assignment and found it challenging, it took me quite awhile to finish things. Although, each to their own and you may find it easier once you've started. Things will start to come back and you'll be fine. Goodluck! :smile:

I have just started access to nursing and a bit overwhelmed . I am hoping once I get back into the swing of studying it will get easier

oh no! Good luck to you too and hope it gets better! It's even the terminology for me! I've never studied to this level either. You know in unit one, is it as simple as just answering the questions or are they wanting you to word it a certain way? I think I may be over thinking things! Xx
oh no! Good luck to you too and hope it gets better! It's even the terminology for me! I've never studied to this level either. You know in unit one, is it as simple as just answering the questions or are they wanting you to word it a certain way? I think I may be over thinking things! Xx

I've answered it simply but got rejected the first time. So then I've added more details, I passed. For example, one of the questions in Q1 asked where do you want to study. I've answered it plus added why I've picked that Uni (because of location, good reputation etc..) Do read the instructions carefully and make sure you've ticked all that was asked. The one that I've found really difficult was the personal statement. That took me a while.

@Charjo1020
Hello! I teach health studies on an Access to HE Nursing Pathway, I've taught over 200 students and they all find it a little overwhelming at first - many have no been in education for 5 - 10 years. A few tips to help;

1) I strongly recommend the book 'health studies' by Naidoo and Wills
2) Any modules in biology require a different skill set than health studies type ones. Health studies involves more thinking outside the box and supporting your claim with evidence. Doing lots of reading of books and journals will help
3) Harvard referencing (or it might be APA on your course) will be very important, it is also essential for H.E progression
4) Just because someone get's a distinction on all their assignments doesn't necessarily make them a great nurse, some of my best students got merit's across the board academically, and went on to be brill nurses

You'll do amazing!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
I've answered it simply but got rejected the first time. So then I've added more details, I passed. For example, one of the questions in Q1 asked where do you want to study. I've answered it plus added why I've picked that Uni (because of location, good reputation etc..) Do read the instructions carefully and make sure you've ticked all that was asked. The one that I've found really difficult was the personal statement. That took me a while.

Thank you so much for this that's a big help I will definitely add a little more then.x
Original post by Arden University
@Charjo1020
Hello! I teach health studies on an Access to HE Nursing Pathway, I've taught over 200 students and they all find it a little overwhelming at first - many have no been in education for 5 - 10 years. A few tips to help;

1) I strongly recommend the book 'health studies' by Naidoo and Wills
2) Any modules in biology require a different skill set than health studies type ones. Health studies involves more thinking outside the box and supporting your claim with evidence. Doing lots of reading of books and journals will help
3) Harvard referencing (or it might be APA on your course) will be very important, it is also essential for H.E progression
4) Just because someone get's a distinction on all their assignments doesn't necessarily make them a great nurse, some of my best students got merit's across the board academically, and went on to be brill nurses

You'll do amazing!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Thank you soooo much for this it's a huge help and has made me feel so so much better. I do feel like I would be an amazing midwife because of personal life experience and just how much I love getting to know and look after people so its just frustrating knowing that I might not be quite so good at the written and assessment element etc.
I'll order that book right away.
Thank you

I’ve just started my access to nursing last week but literally just been finding my way around it until today when I’ve started on unit 1 and it’s blown my mind already ! I don’t know where to start ! How do you produce a pie chart / graph? 😳😘
Original post by Chloemin
hello !

im hoping some can help me, i have recently started an access course with DLC

im currently on cell biology and I'm stuck on a questions - describe how endocytosis and exocytosis are used to move things into and out of cells .

any help would me greatly appreciated :smile:

Don’t suppose you can help me with unit 4 any help will do 😩😩😩
Reply 30
Original post by Kezzanne
Don’t suppose you can help me with unit 4 any help will do 😩😩😩

Joins the Facebook group “studying HE” you’ll get help there
Reply 31
I started the access to nursing a while ago I work full time nights on a hospital ward and I have just started unit 13, if I can get this far anyone can 😊
Reply 32
Original post by Zozo76
I started the access to nursing a while ago I work full time nights on a hospital ward and I have just started unit 13, if I can get this far anyone can 😊

Any chance you can offer me some help with unit 9 please. Thanks in advance
Reply 33
Original post by mrsdunkley
Any chance you can offer me some help with unit 9 please. Thanks in advance

What is it you need? 😊
Reply 34
Original post by Zozo76
What is it you need? 😊

Help with question 1…. Struggling to understand and get my head around it
Reply 35
Original post by Zozo76
What is it you need? 😊

Question 1… struggling to get my head around it
hiiii im on this unit right now its due in a couple days and im so frustrated and sad could you help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending