The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do after sixth form...

Hey guys!
So I'm currently in year 12 and I'm doing a-level mathematics, biology and geography.
However, I've been told to start thinking about what I want to do once the two years are over and I have no idea.
I've decided that university isn't really for me and have decided that an apprenticeship is the way forward.
However I'm not sure what I would like to do an apprenticeship in and how well they pay so I'm wondering if anyone could help me out.
Thank you so much in advance :smile:
Reply 1
you can check out the gov website for apprenticeships but the thing is, if you don't know what you want to do, an apprenticeship can be kinda limiting in a sense. what level apprenticehip are you thinking of doing?
Original post by O_O.
you can check out the gov website for apprenticeships but the thing is, if you don't know what you want to do, an apprenticeship can be kinda limiting in a sense. what level apprenticehip are you thinking of doing?

I'm thinking of doing a degree level apprenticeship but I haven't really thought about it that far tbh, I'm just looking for ideas at the moment lol
Original post by Strawberry.21
Hey guys!
So I'm currently in year 12 and I'm doing a-level mathematics, biology and geography.
However, I've been told to start thinking about what I want to do once the two years are over and I have no idea.
I've decided that university isn't really for me and have decided that an apprenticeship is the way forward.
However I'm not sure what I would like to do an apprenticeship in and how well they pay so I'm wondering if anyone could help me out.
Thank you so much in advance :smile:

The Apprenticeship wage is £4.30 for 16-18-year-olds, or if you are 19 and up £4.30 but increasing to minimum wage after your first year.

If you have an idea of the field you wish to get into, check what standards are available on the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
You can use the Find an Apprenticeship site to see what is on offer for each sector in your area- as for a lot of candidates, the location is important.
Reply 4
You could see if there are any jobs/voluntary work going (maybe for a gap year) to get a taste of what different jobs and industries would be like before you commit to an apprenticeship, to figure out what it is you want to do.
Reply 5
Original post by Strawberry.21
I'm thinking of doing a degree level apprenticeship but I haven't really thought about it that far tbh, I'm just looking for ideas at the moment lol

Someone else provided some good links and I really encourage you to do as much research on what you wanna do as early as possible. with degree apprenticeships, as good as they are, a lot of people end up panicking and then are stuck in a company they hate for 6 years cuz they didnt do enough research. the more yk, the better. Create a list of companies that offer degree apps. try and find out as soon as possible what you want to work in cuz honestly it makes the process so much easier. take advantage of the info your sixth form career advisor has if you have one. there's no such thing as too much research when it comes to this cuz its gonna be you sitting there doing the work. find out how they structure the uni to work ration (i.e. is it a one day a week thing). also, find out where youre gonna live lmao. dont take a job and then discover you have to move a million miles away just live on 50p/hr. make sure youre not gonna end up eating sliced bread and living in a shoebox yk?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending