The Student Room Group

Insurance

I have an update for those who gave me advice
I now have a quote with no black box!!!! £2715
Or £2261 with a box
What do I go for ? I’ll be paying annually
Personally I wouldn't recommend a black box, read a few experiences of some people on this forum and elsewhere. One wrong move (something trivial, e.g. going on holiday and forgetting to tell them you won't be driving for a while) could see your policy cancelled and thus your future premiums rocket up to as high as £8k-£10k.

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Paige_x94
I have an update for those who gave me advice
I now have a quote with no black box!!!! £2715
Or £2261 with a box
What do I go for ? I’ll be paying annually

I second what RedGiant said and since it's not a massive increase like I've seen some where its 2k for a Black Box and 4k without, I would 100% recommend going for the non Black Box insurance.
Aye, considering you're paying £2000+ either way, I'd say it's worth going that extra 500 for 'actual' insurance that won't be pulled out from you like a showman's tablecloth.

As @RedGiant said in your other thread, it's definitely worth contacting some insurers directly.. Admiral, Bell, Diamond ect all have some policies you can see on comparison site... and some you don't and you need to ask (Those 3 are also basically the same company). Some places like Direct Line don't quote on comparison sites at all. When getting a quote on the phone with them ect, there's no harm in simply saying 'It's more than I'd hoped, can you do any better and save me shopping around?' worst they can say is no and it might be in the agents interest to go that extra mile for you.

When considering mileage it can make a lot of difference. It's obviously a crime to lie to an insurer, but they only ask you for a mileage estimate after all...
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Aye, considering you're paying £2000+ either way, I'd say it's worth going that extra 500 for 'actual' insurance that won't be pulled out from you like a showman's tablecloth.

As @RedGiant said in your other thread, it's definitely worth contacting some insurers directly.. Admiral, Bell, Diamond ect all have some policies you can see on comparison site... and some you don't and you need to ask (Those 3 are also basically the same company). Some places like Direct Line don't quote on comparison sites at all. When getting a quote on the phone with them ect, there's no harm in simply saying 'It's more than I'd hoped, can you do any better and save me shopping around?' worst they can say is no and it might be in the agents interest to go that extra mile for you.

When considering mileage it can make a lot of difference. It's obviously a crime to lie to an insurer, but they only ask you for a mileage estimate after all...

Yeah I’ve been putting 6000 but the £2437 was with 10,000 and no price change when I changed it down or up
Yeah I’ve been putting 6000 but the £2437 was with 10,000 and no price change when I changed it down or up

I'm making some assumptions here but I think their quote systems can get a bit funny if you try changing the quote details too often/too quick.

It's quite reasonable for someone to ask for quotes for different mileages, but if someone was asking for quotes with different ages, addresses, licence details ect, that's a red flag to their systems that someone might be trying to mislead them so they might not allow new changes or quotes for a while.

Even aside from fraud protection, there's a lot of sneaky stuff done with cookies/trackers online now. A merchants website starts working out you're v keen on 1 product so holds it to a high price, but if you were to clear your web settings or use a different device, suddenly you'd get a better price :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
I'm making some assumptions here but I think their quote systems can get a bit funny if you try changing the quote details too often/too quick.

It's quite reasonable for someone to ask for quotes for different mileages, but if someone was asking for quotes with different ages, addresses, licence details ect, that's a red flag to their systems that someone might be trying to mislead them so they might not allow new changes or quotes for a while.

Even aside from fraud protection, there's a lot of sneaky stuff done with cookies/trackers online now. A merchants website starts working out you're v keen on 1 product so holds it to a high price, but if you were to clear your web settings or use a different device, suddenly you'd get a better price :rolleyes:

I’ve been doing loadssss of quotes so my try my patented device, ty for that.

And I only ever change the mileage. Don’t want to do anything illegal. And always put my Voluntary excess to £500
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
I’ve been doing loadssss of quotes so my try my patented device, ty for that.

And I only ever change the mileage. Don’t want to do anything illegal. And always put my Voluntary excess to £500

Try a higher excess. Anything lower than £1000 makes no financial sense when you start out driving as any claim under that wouldn't be worth it.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
Try a higher excess. Anything lower than £1000 makes no financial sense when you start out driving as any claim under that wouldn't be worth it.

My excess is £1000 all together, the compulsory excess is £500 aswell
Reply 9
My excess is £1000 all together, the compulsory excess is £500 aswell

Try going higher. Most will allow up to £1500 total.
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom

Does a quote have to say whether you are being quoted with a black box ?
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom

20210414_115302.jpg
Iwmtom
Reply 12
Original post by Wavevid
20210414_115302.jpg
Iwmtom

Did you scratch my username into your car???
Reply 13
Does a quote have to say whether you are being quoted with a black box ?

It's usually made clear
Reply 14
Original post by IWMTom
Did you scratch my username into your car???

Yeah man. Its getting scrapped soon anyway. Getting the new focus
Reply 15
Original post by Wavevid
Yeah man. Its getting scrapped soon anyway. Getting the new focus

Cool story I guess.. bit weird.. but you do you! :laugh:
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
Cool story I guess.. bit weird.. but you do you! :laugh:

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by Wavevid
20210414_115302.jpg