The Student Room Group

Mental health disclosure?

Right... I don't really know what to do.

Basically, I dragged myself to A&E one night for mental health reasons, and after going through the process, they're suspecting me to be bipolar II (which I hadn't considered before but makes a lot of sense) and told me to reach out to my GP to discuss mood stabilizers, etc.

I know that the GMC or the med school say they won't discriminate against mental health issues (already have an eating disorder, declared) but I'm not naĂŻve either, I know the stigma is huge, especially for an illness like bipolar disorder, which is considered to be a severe mental illness by the GMC. An official diagnosis will have to be declared consistently throughout my career and the odds I'll be disadvantaged by that are significant.

I'm not questioning my ability to become a doctor but I'm terrified of getting the official diagnosis. At the same time, I know BP can get worse if untreated and I don't want to be a danger to patients (or myself really) or a bad doctor, and without a diagnosis, I can't get treated other than with therapy.

I was just wondering if anyone here had a similar experience (medics/doctors) and how it went for them? And if anyone has some advice to give me I'll gladly take that haha

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Right... I don't really know what to do.

Basically, I dragged myself to A&E one night for mental health reasons, and after going through the process, they're suspecting me to be bipolar II (which I hadn't considered before but makes a lot of sense) and told me to reach out to my GP to discuss mood stabilizers, etc.

I know that the GMC or the med school say they won't discriminate against mental health issues (already have an eating disorder, declared) but I'm not naĂŻve either, I know the stigma is huge, especially for an illness like bipolar disorder, which is considered to be a severe mental illness by the GMC. An official diagnosis will have to be declared consistently throughout my career and the odds I'll be disadvantaged by that are significant.

I'm not questioning my ability to become a doctor but I'm terrified of getting the official diagnosis. At the same time, I know BP can get worse if untreated and I don't want to be a danger to patients (or myself really) or a bad doctor, and without a diagnosis, I can't get treated other than with therapy.

I was just wondering if anyone here had a similar experience (medics/doctors) and how it went for them? And if anyone has some advice to give me I'll gladly take that haha

Thanks!

I have known quite a number of doctors with declared mental health conditions, including bipolar. It seemed to me that having a known diagnosis and being able to access the right support outweighed any concerns about negativity. The employers and HEE are bound by law to support you, and will do so as well. It may allow you to pre-allocate your foundation region to maintain your mental health support structure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending