The Student Room Group

Can an introvert be a Doctor?

I really want to be a Doctor but I’m introverted but not to the point where I don’t like taking to people. I always doubt myself and think that I’m not gunna be good enough to be enthusiastic with patients like how I see other healthcare professionals do. Will I get the hang of it, will I grow out of my introverted ways or should I give up my aspiration to become a Doctor, it really upsets me thinking about it. Does anyone know what I can do? Have any doctors/medics ever felt this way?
Yes of course. No need to 'grow out of it' either. As long as you can be a nice person and pick up on what people are telling you, you're fine.
Original post by Anonymous
I really want to be a Doctor but I’m introverted but not to the point where I don’t like taking to people. I always doubt myself and think that I’m not gunna be good enough to be enthusiastic with patients like how I see other healthcare professionals do. Will I get the hang of it, will I grow out of my introverted ways or should I give up my aspiration to become a Doctor, it really upsets me thinking about it. Does anyone know what I can do? Have any doctors/medics ever felt this way?

I used to have similar thoughts. I was working as a HCA in a psychiatric unit at the time and I wished I could be constantly bubbly and chatty the way some of the nurses and other HCAs were. Then I had my annual appraisal, and the ward manager gave me positive feedback on my "gentle manner", which he said lots of patients found reassuring. That's when it dawned on me that you need a mix of personality types in healthcare, because the patients themselves are different. There's no 'perfect' cookie-cutter personality for a healthcare professional.
I spoke to my doctor today and I accidentally mentioned how I hate people and he started laughing and said that I was in for a treat if I chose medicine. Being introverted (which I am) is completely fine, you do have to be caring ( I do care for people despite my dark humour I hate people comment, I think I was just being a moody betch).

As long as you're able to have empathy and compassion although I've had doctors who sounded so monotonous and idk just not compassionate which is strange because for MMI's medical schools love the empathy question! You don't have to be loud or bubbly, just be yourself that's what I was told. It's the intentions that matter in my opinion, and as long as you provide your patients a good service then it's fine.

I'm awkward too, and it used to upset me a lot because I meant well but I'd always struggle on what to say, I think for me I just placed myself in social situations. I have a reasonable social life but I'm defo that awkward kid in my group of mates and that's okay.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

I am an introvert and a doctor (one in a heavily patient facing specialty). It's absolutely fine :smile:

Being a doctor is about having professional relationships with patients. There are certain rules and procedures which you follow and after a while this becomes a comfortable routine. It doesn't feel like day after day of "tell everyone three interesting facts about yourself!!!!" or other corporate away day icebreakers which make me, as an introvert, want to run for the hills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending