The Student Room Group

any muslim girls that have moved out for uni?

if so, how is your experience? Do you think moving out was a good idea or bad.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

I didn't personally but I know friends who did. They requested female only accommodation as that was something the university could provide. They enjoyed it because you make friends really quickly with the people you're living with for a year. It's so much easier to live near campus and not worry about commute. I think also because in London it was easy to find tons of other muslim girls.
The issues obviously are budgeting and finance and feeling homesick!
Of course with my degree, living out continued past 3rd year, especially if you were placed in a hospital outside of London which wasn't a choice. I know my friends had good and bad experiences. Good - female only, movie nights, games nights etc, bad - bad roommates! You can't predict who you're going to live with and this can unfortunately ruin your experience of living out.

Overall I think it was a good idea. The only thing I would change was maybe I would take a year to work and save up for Uni. I didn't take any loans because of Riba. So I'm working while studying and yes its very challenging. but I know it will be worth it in the end. Finding other Muslim girls in a new city really helps. I ended up joining the Islamic society and it was probably one of the best decisions I made. Yes, you will probably have one of two roommates that you don't get along with, that's pretty normal. But don't worry too much. Honestly, while being here so many doors that I wasn't even aware of opened up for me. Trust Allah.
Reply 3
Overall I think it was a good idea. The only thing I would change was maybe I would take a year to work and save up for Uni. I didn't take any loans because of Riba. So I'm working while studying and yes its very challenging. but I know it will be worth it in the end. Finding other Muslim girls in a new city really helps. I ended up joining the Islamic society and it was probably one of the best decisions I made. Yes, you will probably have one of two roommates that you don't get along with, that's pretty normal. But don't worry too much. Honestly, while being here so many doors that I wasn't even aware of opened up for me. Trust Allah.

were your parents open minded of you moving out?
My best friend moved out for uni with her parents approval, just as her olders brothers did.
Her family are followers of the shia islamic sect led by the aga khan.
My best friend's parents paid all their children's rent & tution fees, made very generous allowances throughout their uni years, bought them cars and investment properties as teenagers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending