The Student Room Group

Should I talk to my profs casually?

I've heard that people say you should talk to your professors and get to know them and stuff, esp for networking. Is that something you actually should do? Is it weird or is it normal/nice?
Yes, lecturers at Uni tend to be quite friendly in general. But obviously there's a boundary to how casual you should/could be.
I would start slightly more formally before venturing into the informal. This has two benefits, it shows respect to the lecturer and also is a good first impression. It is far easier to start at formal and drift into the informal as a relationship develops rather than beginning at informal when the person is nothing but formal because by that time your chance of a first impression is lost.
Original post by jaxp
I've heard that people say you should talk to your professors and get to know them and stuff, esp for networking. Is that something you actually should do? Is it weird or is it normal/nice?

Hi @jaxp,

Good question. Your professors/lecturers or any of the teaching staff for that matter, are there to help you - after all, they wouldn't be in the job if they didn't. So of course, it's great to get the most out of them. It's important to remember that academic staff can't give preferential treatment to particular students as that would be seen as unfair to their other students. Similarly, there are boundaries that should be set but these should come naturally.

as long as it stays professional, I can think of many examples where having a good relationship with academic staff has been beneficial, most notably in one-on-one support via scheduled meetings and advice over email. It makes it easier for you to ask questions and seek advice. It also helps when opportunities arise, given that you are known to them and have an existing relationship. But remember, keep it professional!

Hope this helps,

James
Student Rep.

.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
Original post by jaxp

Hello!

I think your relationship can develop from the beginning to end of your degree with your lecturers as you get to have more classes with them. I would definitely say it's best to always contribute in your classes and ensure that your lecturers know who you are, and never be afraid to ask them questions! It's definitely a different relationship as to with your teachers at college/sixth form and you are seen as more of an equal/ independent adult instead of a student-teacher relationship.

Your lecturers are always there to help you and i've always had great experiences with mine whenever I have asked for academic support and career advise :smile: I've also connected with some of my lectures on LinkedIn which i've seen as perfectly professional.

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by jaxp

Hello @jaxp,

Yes! Your professors are people too and are definitely worth talking to and connecting with. If they are teaching in or have a background in your desired career prospects you can absolutely benefit from their years of experience. They may be able to put you in contact with further professionals or offer you invaluable advice to excel in your career!

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - Student Ambassador
Depends on the lecturer, gauge the relationship when you get there but they should all be fairly helpful and friendly. I've known some lecturers to be quite formal (use mr for name and very focused on only study talk etc) but most have been a sort of friendly in a professional way kind of thing, like you can get to know them a bit and chat like you would with a friend. I've known some lecturers that have been happy to kick back with a beer and chat during trips, or host tea / cake parties. You'll get a better sense of where things stand once you're there, just roll with the flow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending