The Student Room Group

When do UK students start paying for prescriptions?

I have to take medication every day for my back and my mum told me that when I leave full time education (sixth form for me) I should buy a yearly prescription certificate for about £100. But neither of us are sure when I'm officially classed as out of full time education, and I heard that you get a fine if you take a prescription without paying for it.

So does anyone know when that full time education eligibility ends?
Are you going to Uni when you leave sixth form?
I used to work in the dispensary - you can claim free prescriptions up until the age of 18, as long as you are also still in full time education (includes uni). You tick the 2nd box down on the prescription sheet for this exemption. If you are aged 19 or over, you cannot claim free prescriptions unless you are eligible for another exemption.

If you do need to pay, then it does sound like getting a pre payment certificate would be better for you (do check though) as it normally works out cheaper.

If you're still confused, you can ask the person who works at the dispensary and they will be able to tell you.
Reply 3
Original post by JaffaCakeBiscuit
I used to work in the dispensary - you can claim free prescriptions up until the age of 18, as long as you are also still in full time education (includes uni). You tick the 2nd box down on the prescription sheet for this exemption. If you are aged 19 or over, you cannot claim free prescriptions unless you are eligible for another exemption.

If you do need to pay, then it does sound like getting a pre payment certificate would be better for you (do check though) as it normally works out cheaper.

If you're still confused, you can ask the person who works at the dispensary and they will be able to tell you.

Still confused, sorry 😅
Does this mean I get free prescriptions until 19 as I'm going to uni? Or will they end in June when I finish sixth form?
Original post by Anonymous
Still confused, sorry 😅
Does this mean I get free prescriptions until 19 as I'm going to uni? Or will they end in June when I finish sixth form?

If you’re going to Uni then you will get them up til you turn 19.
You may have to show evidence of you being in full time education when you pick up your prescription (offer letter/student card etc)
Reply 5
Original post by GabiAbi84
If you’re going to Uni then you will get them up til you turn 19.
You may have to show evidence of you being in full time education when you pick up your prescription (offer letter/student card etc)

That's great, thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest