The Student Room Group

Zoology at Bangor?

Hi, I currently hold an offer to study Psychology at Bangor, which I am holding as my insurance offer, but since receiving this offer I have decided to change to Zoology. However, should I fail to make the grade to get into my firm choice (Aberystwyth, for which I need a B in biology), I'm currently torn as to whether I should go to Bangor as my insurance, or simply go somewhere else through clearing; this is because I'm unsure of Bangor's reputation when it comes to zoology, partly because the rankings of the university for life sciences seem to vary wildly, with Complete ranking it really poorly for this subject while the Times Good University Guide, THE, and QS all seem to rank it more positively to varying extents. Does anyone know anything beyond this of Bangor's reputation for this subject, particularly in terms of graduate prospects? I appreciate this may be a difficult question to answer, so apologies for that, but I thought I may as well give it a shot. Cheers.
Original post by blue2203
Hi, I currently hold an offer to study Psychology at Bangor, which I am holding as my insurance offer, but since receiving this offer I have decided to change to Zoology. However, should I fail to make the grade to get into my firm choice (Aberystwyth, for which I need a B in biology), I'm currently torn as to whether I should go to Bangor as my insurance, or simply go somewhere else through clearing; this is because I'm unsure of Bangor's reputation when it comes to zoology, partly because the rankings of the university for life sciences seem to vary wildly, with Complete ranking it really poorly for this subject while the Times Good University Guide, THE, and QS all seem to rank it more positively to varying extents. Does anyone know anything beyond this of Bangor's reputation for this subject, particularly in terms of graduate prospects? I appreciate this may be a difficult question to answer, so apologies for that, but I thought I may as well give it a shot. Cheers.

Hi,

Great to hear you have been looking into Bangor :smile:

Zoology is a fantastic course here at Bangor which offers plenty of opportunities.

They have there own society which is free to join and you will gain a lot of experience out of it which will help you with the employability side of things at the end of your degree.

Zoology is literally ‘all about animals’. Students receive a thorough grounding in general zoology, exploring the diversity of animal form and function, and the evolution and ecology of the major animal groups. Through a series of individual modules which offer an element of choice, students will cover both invertebrate and vertebrate zoology and consider applied aspects such as parasitology, and the interaction between animals and their environment. We offer several opportunities to carry out field studies, both home and abroad, and to work in a research laboratory.

Our aim is to provide you with sound and broad zoological training that covers both pure and applied aspects of animal life. The provision of a diversity of laboratory and field zoology experience is an important component of the course, as is the acquisition of transferable skills (data analysis, group work, presentational and writing skills, IT skills).

You will not only enjoy the resources expected of a modern centre of animal biology but will also benefit from the proximity of an exceptional range of terrestrial, marine and freshwater habitats where field work, which is an integral part of the degree is conducted. We are unusual among British universities in having our own substantial Zoology Museum, and being part of the Environment Centre Wales which is a partnership venture between Bangor University and the Natural Environment Research Council’s Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH). We also have our own marine and freshwater aquaria.

You can read more about the course here: https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2021/c300-zoology

We also have some virtual open days coming up, and I highly recommend that you join us if you can, you can register by clicking on this link: https://www.bangor.ac.uk/openday

Let me know if you have any further questions, I'm more than happy to help in anyway I can :smile:

Sera
Rankings and League Tables are total bunkum.
The fact that none of them agree with each other is absolute evidence of that.
Best ignored, especially for a niche subject like Zoology that is only offered at a few Unis.
Zoology is a solid sensible life science subject - it could take you in a thousand different career directions - and Bangor is great for natural/life sciences.

Ask Bangor if you can switch to Zoology - usually if you meet the entry requirements this is fairly straightforward.
Do you also intend to switch you F & I around as well so that Bangor/Zoology becomes your Firm? If you want to do this, then tell the Uni you intend to do this when you contact them and you will also have to contact UCAS to do the 'switch'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending