The Student Room Group

business at Uni

I am interested in doing a course relating Business at university after sixth form. I would like to know what its like studying a course relating to business at university and what the different courses are like?

If anyone could answer that would be great
Original post by RIF A
I am interested in doing a course relating Business at university after sixth form. I would like to know what its like studying a course relating to business at university and what the different courses are like?

Hi @RIF A,

I hope your studies are going well. It is great to hear you are interested in studying a business related degree at university. I study Marketing Management at Lancaster University Management School (LUMS). LUMS is quadruple accredited and a globally recognised business school.

There are many business degrees at LUMS, which you can check out here. By viewing the different ones, you will get a sense for how they differ. For example, I thought I wanted to study Business Management and then found myself particularly interested in all things marketing so decided to study Marketing Management.

In my opinion, the best thing about studying a business related degree at university is the flexibility. Especially on a Business Management type degree programme, you can be studying everything from economics, management, sustainability, project management, accounting and finance, marketing, entrepreneurship, supply chain etc - so you develop lots of skills making you a well rounded individual and highly employable.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about studying a course related to business, I would be happy to help :smile:.

Rebecca (Final Year BSc Hons Marketing Management Student)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @RIF A,

I hope your studies are going well. It is great to hear you are interested in studying a business related degree at university. I study Marketing Management at Lancaster University Management School (LUMS). LUMS is quadruple accredited and a globally recognised business school.

There are many business degrees at LUMS, which you can check out here. By viewing the different ones, you will get a sense for how they differ. For example, I thought I wanted to study Business Management and then found myself particularly interested in all things marketing so decided to study Marketing Management.

In my opinion, the best thing about studying a business related degree at university is the flexibility. Especially on a Business Management type degree programme, you can be studying everything from economics, management, sustainability, project management, accounting and finance, marketing, entrepreneurship, supply chain etc - so you develop lots of skills making you a well rounded individual and highly employable.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about studying a course related to business, I would be happy to help :smile:.

Rebecca (Final Year BSc Hons Marketing Management Student)

Thanks for the reply.
Is there any advice you would give to sixth form students like me who are interested in doing a business course at university?
Original post by RIF A
Thanks for the reply.
Is there any advice you would give to sixth form students like me who are interested in doing a business course at university?

Hi @RIF A,

Yes, my number one tip would be to look around lots of universities (virtually or in person) and get a sense of the community, course and career prospects.

It is really important to look at how flexible the business courses are, e.g. what subjects sit within the business/management school that offer modules you can choose. Also I advise looking into the reputation of the business/management school you are applying to. By this I mean in terms of their reputation internationally and also their connections to companies as this will dramatically improve your graduate prospects.

Most importantly, be yourself throughout everything and choose where you want to study, not where your friend wants to go :smile:.

Hope this helps. Always here if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Rebecca (Final Year BSc Hons Marketing Management Student at Lancaster University)
Original post by RIF A

Hello,
I am currently a Student Ambassador for Coventry University at the Scarborough campus (CU Group). The modules at Scarborough are broken down into 4 blocks with different start dates (September, November or January). The modules are taken one at a time so you’re able to concentrate on one topic per module with 2 coursework assignments each module - one weighing 40% and one 60%. Having modules focused one at a time is beneficial as it allows students to work through each topic throughly. Some modules include: Business Management, Marketing and Entrepreneurship. Click the following link to see more of the modules offered: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/course-structure/hnc-hnd-degree/2021-22/management/

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Aimee - CU Scarborough (Student Ambassador)
Original post by RIF A

Hi @RIF A

As a business student, I'm glad to hear that! You might want to check out this post I wrote on studying business and related courses at uni.

Good luck! If you have any questions let me know!

Elena
Business Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending