The Student Room Group

Going to Uni / Starting a business

Hey guys, can someone please advise me.

I am 19 and currently out of education and starting an access to higher education diploma in January in health science. I have a passion for healthcare and want to become a paramedic, however I also want to be a nail technician and start my own business. I enjoy nails and the idea of working for myself and growing a business that will allow me more money and freedom.

Here’s my options I’ve come up with:
- complete my diploma and go to uni in September 2024 whist building a business on the side
- complete my diploma whilst starting my business and hold off uni til 2025 / depending on success of the business
- don’t complete the diploma at all and put 100% into creating a successful business
So I’m really stuck with what to do?!

I know some people will be skeptical about a nail business but I’m really driven, I’m going to work with businesses and brands and learn everything I can for it to be a success, but there’s still a doubt of what if it doesnt work or be as successful as I want it to be / but what if it does, and then I’ve wasted time and money with the Diploma and uni?

I was thinking I could do both, but if I’m earning more than my paramedic salary from my business, would I still want to continue doing it?

I know it is something I am going to have to decide for myself, but I just want other peoples opinions or someone from a business background who can see a different perspective

Do I risk it all, or play it safe?
Original post by Ellie. M
Hey guys, can someone please advise me.

I am 19 and currently out of education and starting an access to higher education diploma in January in health science. I have a passion for healthcare and want to become a paramedic, however I also want to be a nail technician and start my own business. I enjoy nails and the idea of working for myself and growing a business that will allow me more money and freedom.

Here’s my options I’ve come up with:
- complete my diploma and go to uni in September 2024 whist building a business on the side
- complete my diploma whilst starting my business and hold off uni til 2025 / depending on success of the business
- don’t complete the diploma at all and put 100% into creating a successful business
So I’m really stuck with what to do?!

I know some people will be skeptical about a nail business but I’m really driven, I’m going to work with businesses and brands and learn everything I can for it to be a success, but there’s still a doubt of what if it doesnt work or be as successful as I want it to be / but what if it does, and then I’ve wasted time and money with the Diploma and uni?

I was thinking I could do both, but if I’m earning more than my paramedic salary from my business, would I still want to continue doing it?

I know it is something I am going to have to decide for myself, but I just want other peoples opinions or someone from a business background who can see a different perspective

Do I risk it all, or play it safe?

Hey

As a current business student, I would advise you to complete your diploma, go to uni and build your business on the side. If you're driven to make your business work and feel that you can balance your work/uni/personal life then you should go for it! Even if you do fail (hopefully you won't), you will have the fallback of having a degree in health science. In my first year of university, I was able to find the time to run an online business and although it wasn't successful in the long run, I was happy that I gave it a go and gained a lot of valuable experience by doing so. You're also young and risking it all at this age is a lot better as you have fewer responsibilities and more time to recover if you don't succeed. This is just my opinion, hope this helps you!

Kind regards,
Roshan
Coventry University Student Ambassadors

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending