The Student Room Group

anyone work as a covid immuniser?

I've applied but wanted to know more about what its actually like
I work as a vaccination volunteer/ Patient advocate with SJA. It's not the same (because I don't stab people) but I think a lot of it is similar.

It's extremely rewarding!!!! people come in and basically tell you their life stories, you meet so many different people and they all react differently. Older people tend to be more compliant and talkative and the much younger people tend to have panic attacks and occasionally faint. The best thing I have found with panic attacks is just to engage in casual conversation. It could be helpful to ask if people have a history of low BP or fainting so you can observe them a bit closer( especially as it's getting warmer)

The staff at all the vaccination centres are super friendly and there is always a lot of banter. We really are like a family. You'll be especially popular if you bring cake In.

It's important to be very familiar with IPC. Donning and doffing PPE, hand washing, waste disposal, sanitising and cleaning and basic things like dressing bare below the elbows.

Confidence is key!
Good luck!!!!!
I really hope you enjoy this
Original post by Anonymous
I work as a vaccination volunteer/ Patient advocate with SJA. It's not the same (because I don't stab people) but I think a lot of it is similar.

It's extremely rewarding!!!! people come in and basically tell you their life stories, you meet so many different people and they all react differently. Older people tend to be more compliant and talkative and the much younger people tend to have panic attacks and occasionally faint. The best thing I have found with panic attacks is just to engage in casual conversation. It could be helpful to ask if people have a history of low BP or fainting so you can observe them a bit closer( especially as it's getting warmer)

The staff at all the vaccination centres are super friendly and there is always a lot of banter. We really are like a family. You'll be especially popular if you bring cake In.

It's important to be very familiar with IPC. Donning and doffing PPE, hand washing, waste disposal, sanitising and cleaning and basic things like dressing bare below the elbows.

Confidence is key!
Good luck!!!!!
I really hope you enjoy this

tysm! are you 17 by any chance? I'm under 18 and so not sure if they will consider me
Reply 3
I'm a a second year uni student and I work as a vaccinator - it's fun, I enjoy it. it was weird at first 'stabbing' people but you get used to it

I also help with other things that aren't vaccinating like any admin jobs that needs doing for the team leads

A good experience, I would get involved if you can. They should let you, they may not allow you to vaccinate per se due to your age but there should definitely be other things they could let you do
Original post by masterstudier33
tysm! are you 17 by any chance? I'm under 18 and so not sure if they will consider me

I am 17 :smile:
For a vaccinator role they require 2 A levels and for any other roles you need to be above 16 because of DBS checks and the fact that we are working in a clinical setting.

You get treated all the same. For example I was the VCV on site and I had 2 people trained as advocates who I was "in charge of" and they were like 50 years old. They respected me and I treated them with respect. We had a patient who was having a panic attack ( no meed for medical escalation at the time) so they waited for instructions and we proceeded to treat her. She recovered well :smile:

If anything having younger people is good because we can stand on our feet longer and cover for them when they need a cup of tea or toilet breaks.
Original post by Anonymous
I am 17 :smile:
For a vaccinator role they require 2 A levels and for any other roles you need to be above 16 because of DBS checks and the fact that we are working in a clinical setting.

You get treated all the same. For example I was the VCV on site and I had 2 people trained as advocates who I was "in charge of" and they were like 50 years old. They respected me and I treated them with respect. We had a patient who was having a panic attack ( no meed for medical escalation at the time) so they waited for instructions and we proceeded to treat her. She recovered well :smile:

If anything having younger people is good because we can stand on our feet longer and cover for them when they need a cup of tea or toilet breaks.

( I should note that not all centres run like this, the one I was at was really small in a primary care setting with very few HCPs so it is probably different at the larger centres)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending