The Student Room Group

What degrees are the best for money

Ive been thinking of going into nursing but the pay isn't the best, I'm wondering what the best degrees are to do for money.
My levels are public services diploma and hsc diploma
Original post by billsj
Ive been thinking of going into nursing but the pay isn't the best, I'm wondering what the best degrees are to do for money.

@Emily_B

So you think its all about big money being a nurse !!!

All newly qualified nurse's starts at bottom of band 5 on approx £25k a year which isn't bad going compared to say a shop assistant or a office administration person doing same hours a week but only earning something £17k a year ( one works 5 days a week while the other may only work 3 days a week but earning lot more than the other and more holidays probably to ).

Nurses don't do the job for the money I'm afraid as do it for the sake of helping people.
So only way you can earn more money as a nurse is to climb up the career ladder every 2 - 3 years when you gain experience to apply for band 6, then again for band 7 till you are completely competent to do band 8 job.
Reply 2
You wont get rich being a nurse...

Look into Actuarial studies, Finance etc

Also, do consider job satisfaction too - your working life may span 40 or more years...

Never heard of your diplomas, either.
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
@Emily_B

So you think its all about big money being a nurse !!!

All newly qualified nurse's starts at bottom of band 5 on approx £25k a year which isn't bad going compared to say a shop assistant or a office administration person doing same hours a week but only earning something £17k a year ( one works 5 days a week while the other may only work 3 days a week but earning lot more than the other and more holidays probably to ).

Nurses don't do the job for the money I'm afraid as do it for the sake of helping people.
So only way you can earn more money as a nurse is to climb up the career ladder every 2 - 3 years when you gain experience to apply for band 6, then again for band 7 till you are completely competent to do band 8 job.Ik nursing doesnt gain that much money il going private anyways which is 30-35k starrting wage.
Ill have the ucas points needed for majorty of the courses, im wondering what courses get alot of money

Original post by Bluey69
You wont get rich being a nurse...

Look into Actuarial studies, Finance etc

Also, do consider job satisfaction too - your working life may span 40 or more years...

Never heard of your diplomas, either.

im asking what courses would gain a lot of money , also private gains around 30-40k starting salery.
Public services diploma is uniform services
hsc is health social care at btec levle3
Original post by billsj

Don’t do a degree just for the money. You need to have a passion.
(edited 2 years ago)
No degree will just get you lots of money. When you leave uni in most jobs you start from the bottom as if you don’t even have a degree. Both my parents work in London and have worked their socks off for 20-30 years to earn their reputations and with that knowledge and money. My mum recruits grads all the time and no amount of time at uni can teach them what they need to know for most city jobs whether that be finance or insurance or brokering etc. My step dad works in a massive global insurance company and has done for decades so again has worked his way up to the top and yet again has no qualification higher than gcse equivalent. My dad is a stock broker and left school at 16 with no qualifications (different time) and has worked in the same company for 35 years… you won’t get that kind of money just with a degree, you get money through dedication and hard work.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending