The Student Room Group

Does anyone do any volunteering at any charities?

Hi everyone

Let me know what you guys do or heard about

I am thinking of volunteering this summer. (Based in London)

Thank
Yes.
I volunteer with charities supporting survivors of rape and honour abuse to rebuild their lives.
Reply 2
Hi! I've been working at a charity shop known famously as Oxfam for about 3 years now, ever since I was 14. Despite my parent's practically begging me to quit, I think it's a really enjoyable experience and it definitely introduces you to the premise of customer facing and the overall atmosphere of working in retail (though some may argue that it's more chilled, but I disagree!!)

On top of that, you meet a lot of amazing people and it's super easy to make friends and build important social skills. I mean, when I began working there, I was just a shy and quiet kid who needed some voluntary experience for my DofE, but now it's probably the main reason for my boost in self-esteem and confidence - it certainly got me out of some pretty dark places :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
I volunteer with charities supporting survivors of rape and honour abuse to rebuild their lives.

What is it called? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SusanGar
Hi! I've been working at a charity shop known famously as Oxfam for about 3 years now, ever since I was 14. Despite my parent's practically begging me to quit, I think it's a really enjoyable experience and it definitely introduces you to the premise of customer facing and the overall atmosphere of working in retail (though some may argue that it's more chilled, but I disagree!!)

On top of that, you meet a lot of amazing people and it's super easy to make friends and build important social skills. I mean, when I began working there, I was just a shy and quiet kid who needed some voluntary experience for my DofE, but now it's probably the main reason for my boost in self-esteem and confidence - it certainly got me out of some pretty dark places :smile:

Wonderful. I've always liked Oxfam Books.

But is it open now for customers to visit? I suppose you have to wear a mask?
I sometimes work in homeless hostels
art store near me sometimes has unsellable (but relatively undamaged) items and extra stock, so I collect them and bring them to the Ronald McDonald house near me
Original post by Pythian
Hi everyone

Let me know what you guys do or heard about

I am thinking of volunteering this summer. (Based in London)

Thank

I used to volunteer in a charity shop
hanging up clothes , sorting shi out
there was mainly community service people working there so we got on quite well :colone:

There was this one time we had put a blue vase on the window displAy and sole rndm woman came in and asked us to remove it coz a friend of hers who lives in the area gave it to her so she didn't want her friend to see that she'd given it to charity, -it was a good quality expensive one aswell,

so so we took it off the window, when she ŵent we put it back on :colone: 🤣🤣😁😇
overall it it was a good expirience
Reply 8
Done loads of charity work from being junior school age, but most recently I was volunteering at fundraising events for a local hospice charity. When events stopped and their charity shops closed due to covid, I moved to volunteering in their eCommerce department, as online retail became a prime source of income. One of the managers liked my work ethic, and it's led to a full-time job dealing with donations; accepting them from customers, sorting and grading them, supplying shops with stock, managing other volunteers. As above, met some great people and it's something where I've been able to really use my organisational skills.

And the occasions I've watched Bargain Hunt and Flog It on tv, and read the style supplements in the Sunday papers, have not been wasted; it turns out I've actually got a good eye for clothes and unusual items that make decent money. You'd never have pinned me for a fasionista!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending