The Student Room Group

Transport firms for commuting students

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Thank you all for enlightening me to this. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a rookie as far as transport is concerned (hence why I'm here asking for advice as I'm finding it hard on my own to find help) . So therefore I didn't know that it was more of a 'local' approach .

Isn't there a message board or Facebook group for your uni you could ask on, or the students' union at your prospective uni?

The way you're asking the question here isn't likely to get you anything helpful in the way of responses.
Original post by Muttley79
Why not live in halls - your commute will be VERY expensive ....

Agree, there comes a point where it just makes more financial sense to live in halls or get a cheap flatshare nearby, even if you just stay there during weekdays and using a taxi to return home at weekends.

You could contact the students union who should be able to give you some names and numbers of local taxi firms, then get a price estimate from them to see if it's worth it. 60 a day for example would cost over 1200 a month, so you wouldn't have much if any student loan left to eat. Plus being on a taxi schedule is so restrictive, like lectures might not be 5 days a week by your third year, and what if you want to spend an evening in the library, go out with friends or join a society? You'll miss out by going home at 5:30 every day.
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is I do have a driving test booked but if I don't pass I need to have arrangements in place as there's a massive backlog from Covid and getting another test isn't as easy as pre-Covid times. As I've said before bus/train isn't really feasible so a taxi type transport I believe is going to be the only option. I hope it's not too expensive considering it could be for a period of time ... Do you know roughly how much I'd be looking at? I have got in touch with a few firms but I'm just awaiting their replies and also just asking on here if there's any specific companies that anyone would recommend .

Even if you do pass and plan to drive then bear in mind that many universities do not offer parking or only have limited spaces for a select group of students (disability etc.). This might be something worth checking out beforehand, and looking up the prices of alternative private parking if needed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending