The Student Room Group

Oxbridge gcse grades

Hi, I’m new to the student room and recently just received my GCSE results. I attend a state school and hope to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge for french or medicine I still have not decided, are these grades good enough?
French- 9
Geography- A*
English language- A
English Literature- B
Combined science - AA
Religious studies - A
Music - A
Mathematics- B
I also recently won a commendation in the anthea bell translation prize hosted by Oxford uni
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, I go to the University of Cambridge.

I would say that these GCSE grades would definitely not preclude you from getting in. They don’t have explicit GCSE requirements.

However, it’s really about what you get at A-level, your personal statement, how you do in an entrance exam, how you perform in an interview - these are all more important than GCSEs!

In any case, you have 5 university options so you should ALWAYS apply and see what happens!

This isn’t true of medicine though - you only have 4. The competition for medicine is fierce at ANY university, so I would really recommend sitting down with your head of year/careers advisor when the time comes to see whether they recommend that you apply and talk through what your chances are. Ultimately, of course, the decision is yours.

Congratulations on your great results
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lb56
Hi, I’m new to the student room and recently just received my GCSE results. I attend a state school and hope to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge for french or medicine I still have not decided, are these grades good enough?
French- 9
Food and nutrition- A*
English language- A
English Literature- B
Combined science - AA
Religious studies - A
Geography - A
Mathematics- B
I also recently won a commendation in the anthea bell translation prize hosted by Oxford uni

From an Oxford perspective, my honest opinion is that you'd have no chance at Medicine. Although there is no minimum requirement at GCSE, the stats show that no-one with fewer than 7 A* was even interviewed last year, and that is typical. The competition is fierce (it's fierce for Medicine everywhere, ofc).
If you are applying to do French, it would be combined with another subject (another modern language, classics or whatever) or else a subsidiary option. Again, your GCSEs would be a the low end of the range, but if you do well in the MLAT admissions test, you have a good chance of getting an interview.
Are you bilingual or a native French speaker?
Original post by OxFossil
From an Oxford perspective, my honest opinion is that you'd have no chance at Medicine. Although there is no minimum requirement at GCSE, the stats show that no-one with fewer than 7 A* was even interviewed last year, and that is typical. The competition is fierce (it's fierce for Medicine everywhere, ofc).
If you are applying to do French, it would be combined with another subject (another modern language, classics or whatever) or else a subsidiary option. Again, your GCSEs would be a the low end of the range, but if you do well in the MLAT admissions test, you have a good chance of getting an interview.

Just to note, you can study French sole!
Original post by oppiwall
Are you bilingual or a native French speaker?

nope just really enjoy the language!!
Original post by liv99liv99
Hi, I go to the University of Cambridge.

I would say that these GCSE grades would definitely not preclude you from getting in. They don’t have explicit GCSE requirements.

However, it’s really about what you get at A-level, your personal statement, how you do in an entrance exam, how you perform in an interview - these are all more important than GCSEs!

In any case, you have 5 university options so you should ALWAYS apply and see what happens!

This isn’t true of medicine though - you only have 4. The competition for medicine is fierce at ANY university, so I would really recommend sitting down with your head of year/careers advisor when the time comes to see whether they recommend that you apply and talk through what your chances are. Ultimately, of course, the decision is yours.

Congratulations on your great results

Thank you! What is it that you study?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lb56
Thank you! What is it that you study?

A Masters in early modern history :smile:

I did history, then a law conversion course, then a masters in law & now I’m back to history!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending