The Student Room Group

parents not letting me do work experience

hi,

im in year 12 and my dad has been really resistant on letting me do work experience because he thinks any place that literally isn't beside our home is too far. basically he's worried for my safety and he thinks the best way to go about it is to not let me do work experience. i've explained to him that its super important for my uni application but he's still being a bit stubborn.

i was wondering if anyone has any good websites that can help with finding local work experience, or any online courses i can do. both my parents have had a history of being controlling of me, and while i know why they do it, its really frustrating not being able to do anything because of safety or whatever. i want to have responsibilities and i want to get ahead in life but they still want me to be their little child.

sorry if i went on a bit of a rant,

any help is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
What sort of course are you in, and what field of work experience are you after?
Brother how are you expecting anywhere with no experience?
Reply 3
Perhaps you could talk to a teacher you trust at school and ask if they would write a letter to your parents? Then you could have a sit-down convo with them and firmly explain the necessity of it. They may not fully appreciate the demands of modern Uni applications, and what will they be like when it comes to you actually leaving their side to go to Uni?
Reply 4
[quote(Original post by "Ask him")]Brother how are you expecting anywhere with no experience?
??? i never said that i was expecting anywhere. i was just asking if people knew any websites to actually *find* work experience opportunities. you misunderstood my post lmao.
Reply 5
Original post by jisatsu
What sort of course are you in, and what field of work experience are you after?

hi. im doing psychology biology and chemistry A level. im fine with any kind of work experience honestly just something that i can put on my application to uni.
Reply 6
Original post by lojawa
Perhaps you could talk to a teacher you trust at school and ask if they would write a letter to your parents? Then you could have a sit-down convo with them and firmly explain the necessity of it. They may not fully appreciate the demands of modern Uni applications, and what will they be like when it comes to you actually leaving their side to go to Uni?

hi thanks for the response ill try that out :smile:
You don't really need any experience for the majority of science-y undergraduate uni applications if that's what you're worried about. Reading around the subject, detailing which modules may interest you and discussing your future career goals are more than enough at this stage.
Reply 8
Original post by cleetus58
hi. im doing psychology biology and chemistry A level. im fine with any kind of work experience honestly just something that i can put on my application to uni.

Right so based off of your A-Levels, I'm assuming you're after something sciency or healthcarey. Honestly, at this stage I'd say volunteering is much more valuable for you than work experience. See if there's any council litter collecting groups or things like that going on. They are amazing to put onto your UCAS application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending