The Student Room Group

How possible is it to bump my English A up from a 5 to 7?

I'm in IB 1 and am currently studying 4 HLs (History, Economics, Chemistry, English A), but I will need to decide on 3 HLs soon. I'm aiming law in UK's more prestigious universities, so the best-case scenario is probably that I study English A HL and drop Chem HL (which has the added benefit of not needing to study double the syllabus in Chem HL + not having to study too much more than SL in Eng HL), but I only got a low 6 in my first term and a low 5 in my finals for English in Prep Year. To what extent is it possible for me to get a 7 in English A HL and how? Would it be too risky for me to take Eng A HL? Thank you~
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd say English is one of the easy subjects to get a 7 in compared to your other HLs, as long as you're being taught it properly. You need to make sure your IAs are as good as possible so you can leave yourself some wiggle room for the exam, i.e: even if you underperform in the exam by a few marks your IA can ensure you don't drop by an entire grade.

Before asking on here, it's a good idea to sit down with your teacher and tell them you're aiming for so and so university and you really need a 7. They may give you a few extra resources and will most definitely give you some valuable advice. Unfortunately it's a subjective HL so there's no magic formula to achieve it. You just have to work out what impresses your specific teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending