The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP: I am struggling with my career choices

I desperately need support. I am drive towards medicine because I live for a challenge, a longstanding fight, I enjoy helping people and always learning or progressing in something. My parents also like this career. However, one of my biggest issues is money. I grew up poor, I have always struggled with money. I know money should not be a focus in medicine but it is for me, I have heard that medicine doesn't actually pay that well until you are in your 40s-50s. Even then, you are undercompensated for the amount of years you did in medical school. I also want to support my family financially, I cannot do that with restricted finances. As I have previously said I am also considering law. I am obsessed with the subject like medicine and I also like the fact that I may not be as restricted in salary, compared to medicine. However, there are several issues. Firstly, I know that at first law does not pay a lot unless you land a job in corporate law straight away, which is VERY VERY difficult. I have also heard that law is more competitive and has less job security compared to medicine. This is probably a bad thing to mention but the first reason why I became obsessed with law is because of Netflix shows like How to get away with murder, Law school (korean drama) and Stranger (korean drama). So I think I have this glossed version of a law career in my mind. So I guess my real question is what do you guys think I should do? Yes, I love Law and medicine, (I don't want to do anything else like business) but I also need to be paid well to support my family. THANK YOU!! :smile:
Reply 1
What age are you now and what are you studying? Where are you looking to live when you start a career?
If you start studying medicine at 18, you will really and truly not be struggling financially until you’re 40-50, remember you also get paid during training and different specialities have different lengths of training time.

Earning a good salary from law is incredibly difficult in this current job market, it is over saturated, the best chance you have is to go to a reputable university, and go into cooperate law, but to earn the big bucks it’s a lot of hard work, paperwork and sacrifices, you have to REALLY want to go into corporate law, same with medicine, both require so much hard work and dedication you have to enjoy it.

I came from a poor background and have gone into medicine, this was not for the money. We all want to be well and support our families, but this shouldn’t be the determining factor for either of these career paths, there is faster ways to earn lots of money and if that turns you off of the career you shouldn’t be going into it anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
What age are you now and what are you studying? Where are you looking to live when you start a career?

I'm 22 now, If I'll graduate in two years and I need to complete some additional A-levels after I graduate if I want to get into medicine. If I want to get into an elite university for Law, I'll need to do undergrad law and then LLM. I'm not sure where I want to live, salaries in medicine and law is so trash in the U.K, so I'm thinking the states. I want to go as high as possible in the career chain! :smile: Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by 3K39DJ
I'm 22 now, If I'll graduate in two years and I need to complete some additional A-levels after I graduate if I want to get into medicine. If I want to get into an elite university for Law, I'll need to do undergrad law and then LLM. I'm not sure where I want to live, salaries in medicine and law is so trash in the U.K, so I'm thinking the states. I want to go as high as possible in the career chain! :smile: Thanks

You don't need to do a law degree to get into law - you need outstanding grades and work experience.

Do you have a US passport or visa? You know you would have to study sciences at a US or Canadian university to get admission to a US medical school?
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
You don't need to do a law degree to get into law - you need outstanding grades and work experience.

Do you have a US passport or visa? You know you would have to study sciences at a US or Canadian university to get admission to a US medical school?

I don't have US passport, I'm from the UK I thought I would move after I settled into my career.
How much money do you actually want?

UK doctors do not struggle for money. You don't earn a lot to start, but you have very well structured progression and stable employment. If you want to earn more with overtime (when allowed), locumming etc. you can do so. Once you reach consultant level you will earn minimum £85k p/a (more by the time you get there). Would that salary satisfy you? Money should not be your primary goal for a career in medicine. Have you got experience in healthcare? Do you know the difficulties and stress the career involves?

Law on the other hand is much less predictable. Top lawyers earn large salaries of course, but you are very unlikely to get there because there is so much competition. Most UK lawyers earn less than doctors. If you want to enter law for the money, be honest with yourself. Are you an A* student who will graduate from a Russell Group uni (preferably Oxbridge)?

If you want to work in the USA, yes you would earn a lot more. However, your UK degrees would not be eligible. You would have to study at a US institution, at least for a Masters.
Reply 7
Original post by 3K39DJ
I desperately need support. I am drive towards medicine because I live for a challenge, a longstanding fight, I enjoy helping people and always learning or progressing in something. My parents also like this career. However, one of my biggest issues is money. I grew up poor, I have always struggled with money. I know money should not be a focus in medicine but it is for me, I have heard that medicine doesn't actually pay that well until you are in your 40s-50s. Even then, you are undercompensated for the amount of years you did in medical school. I also want to support my family financially, I cannot do that with restricted finances. As I have previously said I am also considering law. I am obsessed with the subject like medicine and I also like the fact that I may not be as restricted in salary, compared to medicine. However, there are several issues. Firstly, I know that at first law does not pay a lot unless you land a job in corporate law straight away, which is VERY VERY difficult. I have also heard that law is more competitive and has less job security compared to medicine. This is probably a bad thing to mention but the first reason why I became obsessed with law is because of Netflix shows like How to get away with murder, Law school (korean drama) and Stranger (korean drama). So I think I have this glossed version of a law career in my mind. So I guess my real question is what do you guys think I should do? Yes, I love Law and medicine, (I don't want to do anything else like business) but I also need to be paid well to support my family. THANK YOU!! :smile:

I fully respect your desire to find the right career for you and that high income is one of your personal aims. However, at 22, I think you need to inject a healthy dose of realism into your planning.

You are looking at either GEM entry medicine or taking a law conversion and your LLM. If you seriously want to work in the USA, you need to train in the USA. Law particularly IS NOT THE SAME! in the two countries,
Any of these four paths are extremely competitive and all have a level of investment needed.

I see from your post history that you are currently retaking your final year in uni. Are you confident that you can get the good results, references and entrance exam scores you are going to need to undertake any of these paths? Have you researched what they actually need? What relevant work experience do you have? How much savings do you have available to take you through the training?

I do think you also need to consider the third option of careers that are relevant to your current qualifications.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 3K39DJ
I don't have US passport, I'm from the UK I thought I would move after I settled into my career.

Might be possible for corporate law, very tough for medicine. Even tougher if you don't have a US passport or green card. Unless you have a lot of money at your disposal I think you need to look at achievable careers in countries you would be able to work in.
Have you Ever thought of accounting? You don’t need a specific degree, just a 2:1 or above usually. Graduate trainees will usually train for 3/4 years to be chartered and after that you will definitely be earning good money. Personally, I think that job security in this sector is good too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending