The Student Room Group

noise complaints!!! help

i live in a small area of student properties surrounded by ‘normal’ residential homes and flats. my student neighbours party every weekend without fail and all our homes have been receiving letters complaining about the noise with threats to call the police and contact the council, letting agency and university. the uni have already been contacted once and we had an email threatening to take action if another complaint came through. thjs is super distressing and upsetting because we haven’t been making any noise, its the other properties and although its probably so stupid its really making me anxious. i would try speak with the neighbours but there is no name or house number on the letter, its just signed with a street name. ive spoken w the other students and they dont seem to care much about making noise which is on them, if they get in trouble thats expected but i dont wish to get the blame too. has anyone else been in a similar situation?? how do you handle it?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by angellust
i live in a small area of student properties surrounded by ‘normal’ residential homes and flats. my student neighbours party every weekend without fail and all our homes have been receiving letters complaining about the noise with threats to call the police and contact the council, letting agency and university. the uni have already been contacted once and we had an email threatening to take action if another complaint came through. thjs is super distressing and upsetting because we haven’t been making any noise, its the other properties and although its probably so stupid its really making me anxious. i would try speak with the neighbours but there is no name or house number on the letter, its just signed with a street name. ive spoken w the other students and they dont seem to care much about making noise which is on them, if they get in trouble thats expected but i dont wish to get the blame too. has anyone else been in a similar situation?? how do you handle it?

Hello,

This sounds like quite a difficult situation. Students often get bad rep or generalised and it seems like it is happening here.

I would recommend that you get in touch with your support or wellbeing team. Explain that it is not you and you are unsure how to handle the situation. This way you can get advice but it will also be on record that you were not involved and actively seeking a solution. If the university has to take action, this would help you out.

You could consider putting a letter through the local houses and sign it with your house number. You could calmly explain in the letter that it isn't your house and you want to be amicable with your neighbours. The only options seems to be clearing your name? You could mention you are in touch with the university to try and resolve the issue to them which may work in your favour.

You are definitely not being stupid for worrying about this, anyone in your situation would!

I wish you luck,
Lydia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending