Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

"Rough" areas in cardiff?

Scroll to see replies

katechar_X
Wheres "fairytown"?

Like, the roughest part of Neath.
Can't go through there without being stabbed.
It's near Cimla I think.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 21
SuicideCommando
Like, the roughest part of Neath.
Can't go through there without being stabbed.
It's near Cimla I think.

Do you mean fairyland? Where are you from? we live in fairyland..in the flats....and its not rough. It had a bit of a rep about 10 years ago, but we havent had any trouble..
katechar_X
Do you mean fairyland? Where are you from? we live in fairyland..in the flats....and its not rough. It had a bit of a rep about 10 years ago, but we havent had any trouble..

Fairyland! That's the one! =) I'm not from anywhere near you don't worry, I ain't a stalker. Lol. I've just got tonnes of friends in Neath.
Really? You've never had trouble? I've got friends who have been knifed there. =|
Reply 23
SuicideCommando
Fairyland! That's the one! =) I'm not from anywhere near you don't worry, I ain't a stalker. Lol. I've just got tonnes of friends in Neath.
Really? You've never had trouble? I've got friends who have been knifed there. =|

Really? We've lived here nearly too years, and the only trouble we've got is little kids calling us lesbians every 5 minutes..and writing *****licker on our bin? Apart from that we've had no problems at all. When were your friends knifed up here? I can guarentee no ones been knifed here since we've been living here
Reply 24
-Adamsdown
-Splott
-Bandit Country between The Bay and The Centre
- Gabalfas a bit **** (got surrounded by about 15 chavs of various ages and a 10 year old one threw a fist sized rock at my head).

On the whole Cardiff is pretty safe. But those people saying Cathays is a safe paradise - my friend got a knife pulled on him outside Sherman theatre the other night and there was that girl that got mugged on miskin a while back. Not scare-mongering, just saying that wherever you are guys take care of yourselves.
Reply 25
I agree, some areas are really bad in cardiff... I have just finished a long process with the police after I was held up by a group armed with a hand gun just south of Cathays. I didnt hesitate to hand over my stuff, ended up losing around £400 in cash when they took me to a cash point and my brand new blackberry storm... overall I am not happy, but atleast I have my life.
Reply 26
Rexehuk
I agree, some areas are really bad in cardiff... I have just finished a long process with the police after I was held up by a group armed with a hand gun just south of Cathays. I didnt hesitate to hand over my stuff, ended up losing around £400 in cash when they took me to a cash point and my brand new blackberry storm... overall I am not happy, but atleast I have my life.

:| omg. are incidents like this common in cardiff? I was under the impression Cathays was among the safer of areas?
Reply 27
Just wanted to say that I live between the Bay and the city centre, over near Butetown and I've never ever had a problem, I walk back alone and often walk into town on an evening by myself and haven't ever felt uncomfortable or being approached at all.

I have heard from friends living on streets in Cathays (main student area) of break-ins and muggings, so I wouldn't necessarily say that Butetown is any worse than other areas. However, like any city, you need to be careful afterdark, ie not walking around with an ipod on. BUT I agree with raziell in that Cardiff is AMAZINGLY welcoming and the people are absolutely lovely. I wouldn't choose anywhere else to go to uni!
xxx.
Reply 28
Rexehuk
I agree, some areas are really bad in cardiff... I have just finished a long process with the police after I was held up by a group armed with a hand gun just south of Cathays. I didnt hesitate to hand over my stuff, ended up losing around £400 in cash when they took me to a cash point and my brand new blackberry storm... overall I am not happy, but atleast I have my life

Christ - glad to hear you're ok mate. Where abouts south of Cathays?
Reply 29
Thought this might be relevant, from this weeks Gair Rhydd:

http://www.gairrhydd.com/news/882/caught-in-the-act

:rolleyes:
I'm from Splott, which has been mentioned a few times as a 'rough' area of Cardiff, and I now live in Cathays in a student house, and to be honest I'd say Cathays was way rougher than Splott! I never feel scared walking around the streets in Splott even at night, yet in my first week in Cathays some random man came up to me and my friends as we were walking home from town and started asking us if we wanted to do a 'deal' on some computers! :s-smilie:
Reply 31
I had my ankle broken last april as a result of a mugging by a gang of somalians up by Maindy pool at 9.30 in the evening!? I really wish people would stop spouting crap that it's safe in areas like Roath and Cathays as it's not the case. Gangs and individuals often come up to the student areas to either cause trouble or rob us (as lets be fair, were like prized pigs with our Ipods, cameras, and what not. Having said that i was carrying a bag full of shakespeare books at the time :/
Reply 32
cardiff is fine aslong as you have common sense, im from gabalfa but now swansea though. If i was a student in cardiff, i wouldnt go to gabalfa or any of the other areas like it (tremorfa, st melons, trowbridge, ely, canton, splott etc) be cautious in those areas but generally there fine aslong as you arent one of those alternative people that wants to dress in all black and attract attention to themselves lol. If your white though, bute, riverside, grangetown and a few parts of canton arent the best places to be.
Reply 33
I'm from Rumney which is known as a "rough area" but it's a fair while from the city centre towards Newport so doubt you would ever have cause to come here. As for closer to the City Centre, stay away from Butetown and Grangetown and exercise common sense in other places. Cathays and Roath are all around pretty safe, I've walked around these places at 4 in the morning on the weekend many a time. As for going to town at night, stay where all the people are, and NEVER walk down Queen Street at night alone. All this may sound like scaremongering but it's all experience gained from living my whole life here. In the few years you'll spend in Cardiff for Uni I'm sure you'll find it a very safe and charming place =)
rumney is hardly known as a rough area is it!
God, I must be the luckiest person alive. You have all these tales like "Never walk down Queen Street alone" or "I was mugged by Maindy Pool"....****, I really must have a rabbit's foot up my arse or something.

I've walked back from Chippy Alley [and the first person to call it Chippy Lane gets a slap] at 4 in the morning, blindingly drunk, up the Hayes, along Park Place, and up to Taly North, and not a soul has hassled me, or even looked at me twice.
Last night I wandered around, on my own, waiting for a friend, and decided to kill an hour by exploring Cathays. I've never walked so many dark streets alone in my life, and yet nobody even looked at me twice.

I've had the talks from my dad about "Don't drive through Canton/Riverside/Leckwith alone..." and managed to live in all of those situations. And the same for "Don't get a train or walk to Butetown/Grangetown" - Aside from Grangetown, which I've driven through but not walked through, I've done Butetown many a time.

To be honest, rough places are what you make of them. Maybe if you're going to walk around a) scared out of your mind, or b) flashin yr dollah-dollah, then you're going to get someone hassling you. I've never had the lack of common sense to walk through a strange area of a city thinking "****, someone is gonna knife me, best start looking round all edgy like" or "I know, I'll just take out my wallet for no reason..."

THEN AGAIN - people say where I live is "rough" and there are areas you shouldn't go at night, and things you shouldn't do at night and places you should just never go to. And it's all a load of crap, as far as I've seen. Everywhere is different...
CatatonicStupor - argh the proper name is chippy lane! Not chippy alley! Are you from Cardiff?
Reply 37
Don't go to Riverside (literally, the area on the opposite side of the river next to millenuim stadium) at night. So many of my friends have been mugged walking home late. My dad had everything stolen from his work van whilst working there. It's only made up of around 4 rows of streets (longgg streets) but it's pretty bad, my friends sister lives there and cant leave her car outside her house.
Reply 38
CatatonicStupor
God, I must be the luckiest person alive. You have all these tales like "Never walk down Queen Street alone" or "I was mugged by Maindy Pool"....****, I really must have a rabbit's foot up my arse or something.

I've walked back from Chippy Alley [and the first person to call it Chippy Lane gets a slap] at 4 in the morning, blindingly drunk, up the Hayes, along Park Place, and up to Taly North, and not a soul has hassled me, or even looked at me twice.
Last night I wandered around, on my own, waiting for a friend, and decided to kill an hour by exploring Cathays. I've never walked so many dark streets alone in my life, and yet nobody even looked at me twice.

I've had the talks from my dad about "Don't drive through Canton/Riverside/Leckwith alone..." and managed to live in all of those situations. And the same for "Don't get a train or walk to Butetown/Grangetown" - Aside from Grangetown, which I've driven through but not walked through, I've done Butetown many a time.

To be honest, rough places are what you make of them. Maybe if you're going to walk around a) scared out of your mind, or b) flashin yr dollah-dollah, then you're going to get someone hassling you. I've never had the lack of common sense to walk through a strange area of a city thinking "****, someone is gonna knife me, best start looking round all edgy like" or "I know, I'll just take out my wallet for no reason..."

THEN AGAIN - people say where I live is "rough" and there are areas you shouldn't go at night, and things you shouldn't do at night and places you should just never go to. And it's all a load of crap, as far as I've seen. Everywhere is different...

Who told you Cathays was bad?? That's a load of rubbish. Once you go to the opposite side of town, past the millenium stadium is where you should start worrying.
CoralCoco
Who told you Cathays was bad?? That's a load of rubbish. Once you go to the opposite side of town, past the millenium stadium is where you should start worrying.

I didn't say it was bad...just poorly lit. One of the side streets just off Woodville Road seemed a bit 'dingy'. Having never ventured off Senghennydd and Salisbury Road much when in Cathays, it's a bit of a difference from lights and shops.

I still don't see why people think they should be worried about Riverside, Leckwith, Canton and all that jazz. Okay, you might have a chance encounter with a few seedy characters on a scale that's a wee bit higher than going through Student Country (Cathays, Maindy and Roath), but like I said, you'll get that anywhere.

I stick by my original statement of everywhere is different for everyone, and so long as you're not flashing your money left right and centre, or being overly dick-ish about what you do, you should have no worries regardless of where you are in Cardiff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending