The Student Room Group

St John's College vs Homerton College

Hi!

I am applying to Cambridge for medicine and am having a hard time picking between these two colleges.

I would really appreciate it if I could get any information about what these two colleges are like from anyone who has been to Cambridge.

Thank you so much! :smile:
I would research endowment and distance from your research site.
Thats like not being able to decide between chalk and cheese.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _Mia101
Hi!

I am applying to Cambridge for medicine and am having a hard time picking between these two colleges.

I would really appreciate it if I could get any information about what these two colleges are like from anyone who has been to Cambridge.

Thank you so much! :smile:

how did u narrow it down to two, i dont even know where to begin
Original post by EternalKnight_02
I would research endowment and distance from your research site.

Thanks!
John's has a lot more money so I they have more money for grants and things... but they are both pretty close to where I'd study (John's in the first 3 years and Homerton in the last 3)
Original post by oppiwall
Thats like not being able to decide between chalk and cheese.

what do you mean?
Homerton is closer to addenbrookes but farther from the central sites and vice versa for St Johns. So one is better located for clinical placements and the other for lectures in the preclinical years. I think they have similar student numbers for undergrads as well, although one or the other may have more medics per cohort potentially.

St Johns obviously has the old college aesthetic and architecture. There may be negatives that go with that with respect to heating, fewer ensuites, maybe poorer WiFi in some areas due to thick stone walls, etc. Also it's in the centre of the city so expect lots of tourists hanging around nearby probably.

Homerton is more modern although still somewhat historic. You might find there are some conveniences to living in buildings designed after central heating was invented! It's also located further out and so much less likely to have tourists peering through windows etc.

For what it's worth st Johns has I believe a reputation of being more "traditional" in terms of e.g. formals and random arcane rules about who can walk on which lawns, and hand in hand with this I think tends to have a more politically conservative slant and various secret societies which give rise to particular kinds of behaviour. This may be less common now but...I think it is still the case to some extent...

Regardless bear in mind that you have about a 20-33% chance in any given year of being pooled to another college anyway, and most students like their college once they get there I gather. So don't stress over it too much; having narrowed it down to two is a significant start, so worst case scenario if you aren't sure just flip a coin! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending