The Student Room Group

Question for people had jaw surgery in NHS UK

Hi , i am planning to have a jaw surgery soon with NHS. currently on my waitting list for the surgery. In your experience, were you able to discuss with the surgeon on how the surgery is done and did you get told what's your movement will be before the surgery? Like how many mm will be moved?All i was told is that i am having a bimaxillary surgery and was told about the potentially side effects signed a consent form. Will i have the opportunity to know about my surgical plans?
Original post by carblam925
Hi , i am planning to have a jaw surgery soon with NHS. currently on my waitting list for the surgery. In your experience, were you able to discuss with the surgeon on how the surgery is done and did you get told what's your movement will be before the surgery? Like how many mm will be moved?All i was told is that i am having a bimaxillary surgery and was told about the potentially side effects signed a consent form. Will i have the opportunity to know about my surgical plans?

I had a bilateral sagittal split osteotomy (they cut my bottom jaw off on both sides and extended it a tad), the surgeon discussed the plan with me and if they don't after you ask, you should absolutely refuse as its meant to be standard practice in the UK (has been for decades).

The number of mm will depend on your personal circumstances (in relation to your jaw currently), I think I had about 5 on each side if I remember right? I was told my case was one of the worst seen though. I don't remember being told the side effects were that bad, maybe a bit of nose bleeding from the breathing tube insertion if it goes a bit wrong and possible infection but thankfully I recovered incredibly quick.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what's your movement will be before the surgery"?
Reply 2
Original post by QuentinM
I had a bilateral sagittal split osteotomy (they cut my bottom jaw off on both sides and extended it a tad), the surgeon discussed the plan with me and if they don't after you ask, you should absolutely refuse as its meant to be standard practice in the UK (has been for decades).

The number of mm will depend on your personal circumstances (in relation to your jaw currently), I think I had about 5 on each side if I remember right? I was told my case was one of the worst seen though. I don't remember being told the side effects were that bad, maybe a bit of nose bleeding from the breathing tube insertion if it goes a bit wrong and possible infection but thankfully I recovered incredibly quick.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what's your movement will be before the surgery"?

Hi, did you have the surgery in NHS hospital.
Basically what i means is that will they discuss with me how much my jaw will be moved and can i decide on that because i want a bigger change in my face.
Original post by carblam925
Hi, did you have the surgery in NHS hospital.
Basically what i means is that will they discuss with me how much my jaw will be moved and can i decide on that because i want a bigger change in my face.

Yes I had my surgery at Southampton general.

I think the change they will have calculated you need will be for a reason (ie enough to address any issues you might be having), going further may end up producing other issues so I assume they would advise against and probably refuse to do
Reply 4
Original post by QuentinM
Yes I had my surgery at Southampton general.

I think the change they will have calculated you need will be for a reason (ie enough to address any issues you might be having), going further may end up producing other issues so I assume they would advise against and probably refuse to do

but they will definitely tell you how much jaw will be moved before surgery right? I really want to discuss with them about my thoughts but to my orthodontist it seems like they still keeping me in hold

Quick Reply

Latest