The Student Room Group

Transferring to Medicine After a Year of Pharmacy

My heart is set on doing Medicine, however, I wasn't in the right mental health to apply this year. Therefore, I am applying for Pharmacy and hoping to do complete a year and then apply for undergraduate medicine.
I have no intention of doing such degrees as biomedical science or medical physics (due to personal reasons) and I cannot take a gap year.
I know that there are some universities that have a "Transfer to Medicine Scheme", however, are there other possible routes and what is the likelihood of me actually getting into an undergraduate medicine degree?
Original post by Notatallme
My heart is set on doing Medicine, however, I wasn't in the right mental health to apply this year. Therefore, I am applying for Pharmacy and hoping to do complete a year and then apply for undergraduate medicine.
I have no intention of doing such degrees as biomedical science or medical physics (due to personal reasons) and I cannot take a gap year.
I know that there are some universities that have a "Transfer to Medicine Scheme", however, are there other possible routes and what is the likelihood of me actually getting into an undergraduate medicine degree?

Why can't you take a gap year?
Reply 2
Besides a gap year, is there any other route? Pharmacy is more of a safety net. As if I do not get into medicine, then I am able to complete a degree that leads straight to a profession that is in demand. Following, this I can also do a graduate entry for medicine. A requirement from my parents is that I do not take a gap year as that is a year out of education, which is a straight no. They would rather spend £9250.
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
Why can't you take a gap year?

Taking a gap year means a year out of education which is a no from my parents. As they are paying for my education and do care for me, it's only right for me to respect their terms.
Original post by Notatallme
Taking a gap year means a year out of education which is a no from my parents. As they are paying for my education and do care for me, it's only right for me to respect their terms.

I really don't understand this logic. Do your parents just want you occupied at all times or are they meant to support you to develop a career?

You are no longer in school and a degree is not a stopgap. You don't do pharmacy/medicine/another degree with the specific intention of dropping out asap. If you know you want to do medicine, you should work effectively to achieve that goal, which does not mean starting a completely unrelated degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending