The Student Room Group

Much older man vs much older woman. Why are they seen so different?

Let me give you two real-life examples.

My great uncle was widowed when he was 47, when he was 49 he married a 20 year old woman (let's call her Rose). At first some people questioned that the age gap was simply too big to work, but my overtime people didn't bat an eye, and her family aproved the marriage. My great uncle was respected by everyone in town, and no one ever called him a pedo for marrying a woman 29 years younger, and no one called Rose a gold digger for marrying a man 29 years older and with relative wealth. They eventually lived a happy life, had 4 children together, and the marriage only ended when my great uncle died aged 79. Rose was marrying a man who could easily be her father, a man who already had NINE children, who even had a grandchild by that time, one of her step daughters is 2 years older than her, and a step son of her same age.

The other example. My family has a common friend (Diana, f42), my family and hers have known each other since like forever.
One of my cousins (m20) is close to her and her sons (m18, m10), they're cool and good friends. My cousin says he'd date her if possible, but the age gap and the fact that she has sons almost his age makes it impossible, he says. She's a great woman, hard-working, resposible, compasionate and beautiful, she loons way younger, and even tho she's 42,it's like talking to a 24 year old person, but he says it could never work.

Why is it seen so differently?
Im not sure people have different perceptions on age gap marriages, i've really commonly seen people call woman gold diggers for marrying older man and etc. I mean if you're happy thats okay but it seems off to me a 40 year old and a 17 year old :/
People are sexist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending