The Student Room Group

North Shropshire by-election

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Agree that I don't get the Truss appeal. She's the darling of the party because she got the prominent role it's difficult to fail at. Short of saying in advance that you'll get 100 trade agreements you can't really fail at it. Foreign is also a relatively easy role of you can avoid a warzone. Even Raab was not unpopular pre-Afghanistan. Though I'm not sure being neutral is a bad thing if the starting point is an 80 seat majority.

Hunt is a much more competent Truss I think. After the Murdoch affair made him look corrupt I'd find it difficult to vote though.

Javid I agree. He's monotone. Worst of the bunch.

Sunak I agree, he'd win with the parliamentary party and country convincingly. He has almost no idealogical grounding but is probably much more competent. Blair with a blue tie and brown face.

Raab and Patel I'm not sure I agree with you on. As Brexit has shown there is a large constituency outside London for social conservatism and serving in a Boris government, I doubt either of them are truly commited Thatcherites economically. They'd be polarising but I tend to think right now that if the vote polarises it probably favours the Tories over Labour. There are more than 29 seats where the Brx Party vote exceeds the lab majority over con and those are disproportionately small c votes (though winning that battle relies on lab and lib staying split in the more liberal southern areas). Like Hunt I'd struggle to vote for Patel though given her actions in Israel.

I suspect Sunak will win in R1 though amongst the MP's sadly.

I think Sunak by all accounts is pretty Camerony, apart from Brexit. Young, modern, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, a bit environmenty. Probably much more relaxed about immigration and culture wars than other tories.

Re Raab and Patel, I'm not saying that social conservatism has no appeal but rather I'm not sure either of them is capable. They aren't political heavyweights with grand visions like Thatcher. And both are quite gaffe prone. Neither are particularly charismatic either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by imlikeahermit
Johnson out. He has to go. For the sake of what is left of the ‘Conservative’ party. Sunak in.

Out of interest, why Sunak.

His budgets are revolting and you know I'm prepared to stomach a lot.
Original post by DSilva
I think Sunak by all accounts is pretty Camerony, apart from Brexit. Young, modern, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, a bit environmenty. Probably much more relaxed about immigration and culture wars than other tories.

Re Raab and Patel, I'm not saying that social conservatism has no appeal but rather I'm not sure either of them is capable. They aren't political heavyweights with grand visions like Thatcher. And both are quite gaffe prone. Neither are particularly charismatic either.

I'm not sure I understand why people think Rishi is fiscally conservative. The governments current economic plan is effectively anti-austerity. Even before the pandemic they were budgetting large spending increases and greater deficits.

As for Raab and Patel, I'll add that the public don't seem to like them. I've seen a couple of pretty scathing articles in the Mail about Patel, in particular.
Original post by SHallowvale
I'm not sure I understand why people think Rishi is fiscally conservative. The governments current economic plan is effectively anti-austerity. Even before the pandemic they were budgetting large spending increases and greater deficits.

As for Raab and Patel, I'll add that the public don't seem to like them. I've seen a couple of pretty scathing articles in the Mail about Patel, in particular.

Presumably because she's not been able to do much about the boats coming in.

Probably because she is being stymied by Boris and the civil service. Right now she's doing all she can, if she was in power she could scrap the HRA et al and take more brutal measures
Original post by SHallowvale

We didn't have a lot of time before the pandemic struck to see all that much detail on what Sunak's real positions are. Yes, he appeared to follow Johnson's 'cancel austerity' line, but I suspect some of that was just "get Brexit done" blather. Sunak has made a number of noises since that he's basically a Thatcherite-style small government man. He seemed anxious to restore some of the austerity agenda in the last budget and dial back as soon as possible. That may just be driven by what the Treasury see as necessity against the vast overspends of the last two years, but I suspect he's fiscally Conservative, maybe more so than his recent predecessors.
Original post by Starship Trooper
Presumably because she's not been able to do much about the boats coming in.

Probably because she is being stymied by Boris and the civil service. Right now she's doing all she can, if she was in power she could scrap the HRA et al and take more brutal measures

Harold Wilson said "politics is the art of the possible" but Patel seems to think that it is the art of banging her head against a brick wall.

Patel appears utterly ineffective. That is because rather than very publicly doing things which are within her power to control, she has almost exclusively devoted her efforts to things that she has virtually no ability to improve. You then end up with a constant media narrative of failure.
Original post by nulli tertius
Patel appears utterly ineffective. That is because rather than very publicly doing things which are within her power to control, she has almost exclusively devoted her efforts to things that she has virtually no ability to improve. You then end up with a constant media narrative of failure.

She's just part of the new Tory vision of endless woke wars and get Brexit done meaningless sloganeering. However, there's a definite malicious tint to these policies, puzzlingly, as well as being an apparent party of libertarian nutters, they are also quite into authoritarianism. They seem to want a sort of Peronist failed Argentina with a central overprivileged rump of big landowners and capitalists bearing down on the poor. One this is clear - the current lot have nothing in common with the Thatcherite Conservativism they claim to follow. Also, the point is not to get things done. The point is to preside over decline whilst enriching their class.
Given there's now a lot of succession chat in this thread, I thought it would make sense to have a separate thread on that, rather than still be discussing this in a North Shropshire by-election thread in a fortnight's time.

Is the party over for Boris Johnson, and what and who comes next?

This isn't an instruction to stop using this thread altogether obviously if you have more to add on the by-election itself and its other or more immediate consequences, feel free to keep discussing.
In terms of the actual by election, I think it could be a sign that Brexit is fading as an issue. Yes it was a protest vote to an extenr, but the fact that leaver voters were willing to vote for a party that two years ago campaigned to rejoin the EU, is a sign that Brexit is done as an electoral issue.
Original post by DSilva
In terms of the actual by election, I think it could be a sign that Brexit is fading as an issue. Yes it was a protest vote to an extenr, but the fact that leaver voters were willing to vote for a party that two years ago campaigned to rejoin the EU, is a sign that Brexit is done as an electoral issue.

Maybe, I'm not sure how much voters were thinking about that when they voted, but on the face of it, you're right.

What does seem plausible now is that we're seeing a definite trend of middle class rural and suburban voters rejecting Tory extremism and perhaps Brexit along with it, or at least, the Brexit we've been given. It's noticeable that Frost and Johnson and Patel dialled back the anti-French rhetoric in the run-up to the by-election. Maybe they've realised it doesn't play very well in the Shires.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Maybe, I'm not sure how much voters were thinking about that when they voted, but on the face of it, you're right.

What does seem plausible now is that we're seeing a definite trend of middle class rural and suburban voters rejecting Tory extremism and perhaps Brexit along with it, or at least, the Brexit we've been given. It's noticeable that Frost and Johnson and Patel dialled back the anti-French rhetoric in the run-up to the by-election. Maybe they've realised it doesn't play very well in the Shires.

The point is that they probably weren't thinking about it. Which means the Tories may not be able to hold their base together just by going "we got Brexit done".

The thing about Johnson is that traditional shire and rural tories have never really liked him that much. On a personal level they probably feel the same as you or I towards him. His appeal has been winning over non tory voters with his upbeat 'laddish', bit of a laugh persona.
Original post by DSilva

Yes brexit is done. Now the debate is or should really be about 3/4s of the "conservative" party and the "opposition" basically being lockstep on being an anarcho tyranny.

Brexit was just the beginning. As we are seeing, Boris et Al is little better than messrs Juncker and Merkel.
Yes brexit is done. Now the debate is or should really be about 3/4s of the "conservative" party and the "opposition" basically being lockstep on being an anarcho tyranny.

Brexit was just the beginning. As we are seeing, Boris et Al is little better than messrs Juncker and Merkel.

Brexit was the glue that held the fragile tory voting coalition together (plus a fear of Corbyn). With those two factors gone, the Tories need to find something else.

Personally I don't think the public here are desparate for a US style culture war, and I don't think it would work anyway. "anti wokeness" just like "wokeness" isn't going to win an election. Bread and butter issues such as the economy, healthcare, education, housing etc are still far more important.
Original post by DSilva
Brexit was the glue that held the fragile tory voting coalition together (plus a fear of Corbyn). With those two factors gone, the Tories need to find something else.

Personally I don't think the public here are desparate for a US style culture war, and I don't think it would work anyway. "anti wokeness" just like "wokeness" isn't going to win an election. Bread and butter issues such as the economy, healthcare, education, housing etc are still far more important.

Agreed... Although only because things haven't quite yet devolved to how things are in the US for various reasons. Things need to get worse before people are ready to get rid of the status quo sadly.

That said I disagree that culture war issues aren't popular.

I think if a Tory candidate went hard on free speech, trans issues and border crossings for instance they could do quite well, particularly among the northern Seats they're allegedly after.
Agreed... Although only because things haven't quite yet devolved to how things are in the US for various reasons. Things need to get worse before people are ready to get rid of the status quo sadly.

That said I disagree that culture war issues aren't popular.

I think if a Tory candidate went hard on free speech, trans issues and border crossings for instance they could do quite well, particularly among the northern Seats they're allegedly after.

It would have some appeal, but it would be quite limited. Remember, most people haven't heard the term 'woke'. To a large extent it's a social media, bubble issue.

If the Tories go into an election primarily focused on being 'anti woke' and Labour focus on bread and butter issues, the latter will win.
Original post by DSilva
It would have some appeal, but it would be quite limited. Remember, most people haven't heard the term 'woke'. To a large extent it's a social media, bubble issue.

If the Tories go into an election primarily focused on being 'anti woke' and Labour focus on bread and butter issues, the latter will win.

They don't need to have heard of wokeism, really a misnomer, to be against anti white curriculum for children or the trans bathrooms etc.

It depends. Not necessarily. Although I agree that shouldn't be all the Tory party should offer. I think it would be a net benefit. Even liberal lefties think this stuff has gone too far.
They don't need to have heard of wokeism, really a misnomer, to be against anti white curriculum for children or the trans bathrooms etc.

It depends. Not necessarily. Although I agree that shouldn't be all the Tory party should offer. I think it would be a net benefit. Even liberal lefties think this stuff has gone too far.

It depends what we mean by 'woke' exactly. I wouldn't include things like Brexit or crime etc within that scope as they are substantive policy areas.

But the debates around 'defund the BBC', racist potatoes, and 'critical race theory' and trans bathrooms etc almost exclusively exist on social media.

The BBC is a classic example. The Tory party have absolutely convinced themselves that the public hates the BBC and everyone thinks its some far left/liberal organisation that hates Britain etc. The reality is most people quite like the BBC even most Tory voters and Brexit voters.

Labour's best bet is to sidestep the culture war issues, and let the tories convince themselves that the public en masse care about them.

That is very unkind to Angela Merkel. Or anyone in the EU. They have a clue and work full-time.

Brexit is not done, we still have a part of the United Kingdom which follows EU rules without any representation in the EU Parliament. A rule taker not a rule maker, or able to influence it directly.
Original post by DSilva
It depends what we mean by 'woke' exactly. I wouldn't include things like Brexit or crime etc within that scope as they are substantive policy areas.

But the debates around 'defund the BBC', racist potatoes, and 'critical race theory' and trans bathrooms etc almost exclusively exist on social media.

The BBC is a classic example. The Tory party have absolutely convinced themselves that the public hates the BBC and everyone thinks its some far left/liberal organisation that hates Britain etc. The reality is most people quite like the BBC even most Tory voters and Brexit voters.

Labour's best bet is to sidestep the culture war issues, and let the tories convince themselves that the public en masse care about them.

I suspect that to some extent the Tory leadership see Wokery as a way to mobilise their base. I think they know that most voters are either fairly uninterested in it, or else simply don't see the issues that the right wing headbangers froth about as anything other than already settled. Much of this is reminiscent of the Tory Party in the 80s and 90s getting in a state over Section 28 when most of the public had already decided there was nothing basically wrong with gay marriage or gay education.
Original post by DSilva

Labour's best bet is to sidestep the culture war issues,

and let the tories convince themselves that the public en masse care about them.

Sure.

In the UK possibly. They "exist only on social media" as that is the only avenue these things are often revealed in.

I don't think they think everyone thinks that. That's the problem and is partly why they won't do anything about it for dear if upsetting people.

Agreed but they won't. Labour/ the left are far more zealous culture warriors than the right/ conservatives.

You make it seem like they want to go full on culture war. They don't. Most of them want to ignore it, whilst another big chunk actually agree with labour on these things and are actually progressives. Only a small minority want to actually fight on these issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending