The Student Room Group

Laptop VS IPad

Hey,
I have applied for uni starting 2022 and I have currently got a MacBook Air, however I am looking into getting an iPad also. What does everyone use for uni?
Reply 1
Original post by Ellie.Keen
Hey,
I have applied for uni starting 2022 and I have currently got a MacBook Air, however I am looking into getting an iPad also. What does everyone use for uni?

I’m not in uni but I mostly use an iPad.
Some things aren’t available on an iPad and you can’t access some documents but overall it’s fine
If you get an iPad I'd recommend the standard one (assuming you aren't doing anything crazy on it) bc it's the best value for money imo
Most students rock up with laptops. Anything that allows you to edit whilst in a lecture really. The teachers will post the lecture slides on the uni learning management system in advance. Students then download the powerpoint pdf and write additional notes on the pdf during lecturesx.
I recommend getting an Ipad. It really helped me during my Uni days especially with note taking and revisions.
Get an HP or Dell laptop, yoga or XPS, much better worth compared to macbooks
Original post by Ellie.Keen
Hey,

Hi there,

I hope you're well. :biggrin:

Great to hear that you've applied for Uni - I hope that you have the best time! In terms of whether to invest in an iPad, it really is entirely up to you. In my lectures, it's a pretty even split between people that use laptops, and people that use Ipads (only a handful hand write their notes!). The only thing with the iPad is the extra costs that may come with it - like a keyboard, the apple pen etc. But, if this doesn't bother you, then it clearly can be successful as many students do use iPads to make their notes.

There are definitely pro's and cons to each, so I'd have a go at maybe making notes on a YouTube video - and seeing whether you prefer making notes on a laptop or an iPad. Have you got a friend that has an iPad? You could borrow theirs for an hour to see if you like the feeling of making notes on it, and if you do really like it then you can invest then - similar to a 'try before you buy!'

Best of luck to you, and I hope that's been helpful! :smile:

Ana
UoL Ambassador :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending