The Student Room Group

Working whilst studying?!??

Hey all!

Just been given the amazing result of being accepted and given the offers I wanted through UCAS. I’ll be starting my new venture in September 2022 as a 31 year old mature student, what I want to ask is what does everyone do for working around studying? I’ll be leaving my current career to try and pursue something new!

I imagine a lot of people being in the same situation with having to pay mortgages and bills etc. I was just wondering how people managed the balance?
First well done!
It depends on your course, travelling distance and timetable. It is possible to work if you are well organised. Good to start now so that you can be flexible as you progress and need time off for your assessments.

What I actually did for my undergrad, always worked on a Sunday - no matter what. Then the rest of the other working days I would alternate.
Now that I’m back on education, I mostly work online.

However if I have to work on-site then I try to work at the beginning of the month as we start new modules.

Try to also seek employment in area related to your subject, it will help to consolidate knowledge :smile:
Congrats!

If you couldn't get work, say, or if you found the practicalities of studying whilst working difficult - could you afford to study without working?

Of course I'm not expecting a direct answer to that but just to put across the thought.

When going through some big life changes it's really helpful to think about and consider 'worst-case scenarios', whilst it's a bit of a Debbie Downer it's important so it doesn't come by surprise.

Anyway - congratulations! I hope you enjoy your studies!
Reply 3
Hey everyone!

Apologies for the delayed reply, as a quick update I am really enjoying university. Your advice really did help. I am currently working part-time doing what I used to do full-time. I have good days and bad days in terms of work load but ultimately am not regretting the choice to come back into studying as a mature student!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending