The Student Room Group

What to do as a 4th a level...

I'm in year 11 rn applying for sixth forms... One of them makes you start with 4 a levels and then you can drop that one later. I know 3 i wanna do but im not sure what to do as a 4th. How can I decide?
(100% not doing : english lang/lit physics bio geography)
Also my school does not offer business or accounting
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Nothing. It’s the easiest A-level to get an A* in.
Reply 2
Original post by imscareddaddy
I'm in year 11 rn applying for sixth forms... One of them makes you start with 4 a levels and then you can drop that one later. I know 3 i wanna do but im not sure what to do as a 4th. How can I decide?

1. Research the career that you want to get into.

2. Look at what you're good at and not so good at. (e.g look at your GCSEs)

3. Look at what you enjoy studying.

We need to know these three things in order to give further advice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gidray
1. Research the career that you want to get into.

2. Look at what you're good at and not so good at.

3. Look at what you enjoy studying.

We need to know these three things in order to give further advice.

I wanna be an accountant and get into finance
I love maths hate english and i suck at geography
(edited 2 years ago)
What are the 3 you have chosen
I love maths hate english and i suck at geography

It's not necessary nor beneficial to do more than 3 A-levels - universities do not award "bonus points" based on doing additional A-levels. If your school requires you start with 4 just pick something you think will be interesting then drop one ASAP.
Original post by ReadingMum
What are the 3 you have chosen

maths further maths economics
Reply 7
I love maths hate english and geography

Okay, so you should definitely do A-Level Maths, A-Level Accounting and A-Level Further Maths because you said you loved maths already. Then you could also choose A-Level Economics as your fourth A-Level and then drop it later. A-Level Economics is probably not as important but it doesn't matter because you're going to drop it anyways.
Original post by artful_lounger
It's not necessary nor beneficial to do more than 3 A-levels - universities do not award "bonus points" based on doing additional A-levels. If your school requires you start with 4 just pick something you think will be interesting then drop one ASAP.

how soon is asap tho
(also i wanna do 3 but school forces to start with 4)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gidray
Okay, so you should definitely do A-Level Maths, A-Level Accounting and A-Level Further Maths because you said you loved maths already. Then you could also choose A-Level Economics as your fourth A-Level and then drop it later. A-Level Economics is probably not as important but it doesn't matter because you're going to drop it anyways.

the 6f doesnt do accounting or business.. so that kinda sucks
how soon is asap tho
(also i wanna do 3 but school forces to start with 4)

what school are you applying to? my school did the same
Original post by lanaswid
what school are you applying to? my school did the same

LAE tottenham
id really recommend taking A level Business. I got an A* in it and although no A level is easy, it was pretty straight forward and largely common sense/ memorisation and I didn't find it too hard. There are a few calculations in it and formulas to learn but just keep doing past papers and it gets better. i've seen a lot of people struggling with further maths so if its not required by your course I wouldn't really recommend doing it if you're taking maths anyway.
LAE tottenham

yess i study there, im currently in year13
h

Original post by lanaswid
yess i study there, im currently in year13

Oh is it? What do you study

maybe do something like psychology, business
h

Oh is it? What do you study

i do biology, chemistry maths and arabic. i applied for medicine. you can do a language as a 4th if you can speak French/Spanish/Arabic

add physics onto that and you're good since a level physics has a large maths element to it
Even when choosing the 3 a level subjects for other sixth forms, If you're not that fixated on economics, I would swap it with physics if you enjoy it at gcse.
Original post by aliaa03
id really recommend taking A level Business. I got an A* in it and although no A level is easy, it was pretty straight forward and largely common sense/ memorisation and I didn't find it too hard. There are a few calculations in it and formulas to learn but just keep doing past papers and it gets better. i've seen a lot of people struggling with further maths so if its not required by your course I wouldn't really recommend doing it if you're taking maths anyway.

the 6f doesnt do business :/
the 6f doesnt do business :/

if you love maths then physics? its really hard but if you're considering dropping it anyways. you might find it interesting

Quick Reply

Latest