The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Failed one module

beyond the right to reassessment

One of the biggest fiascos I've ever had. That was a module whose content I really didn't get. It's my fault not to have followed the lectures properly in the previous semester.
The format of fully open-book online exam may have precipitated the woe as papers were made much tougher than pre-COVID era as they claimed.

My study advisor tells me I'm in no immediate danger of failing to meet the minimum progression rates, yet shouldn't have this happen again, or it'll be really risky to have to ask for associate provost's permission to complete certain requirements beyond this year.

Advice from them & the Student Services is a bit too general. Would someone mind sharing views on time management or effective revising strategy?
Reply 1
Try not to worry too much. What year are you in and what are you studying? Some general tips:

Try to do some of the work for your modules in the breaks before the semester. So for your Semester 1 modules, do some work in the summer. For your Semester 2 modules, do some work over Christmas. This might involve revising any modules that are prerequisites. Alternatively, you can get the textbook/reading and work through that. Things get very busy during the semester, and if you have spent 5/6 weeks learning the content before the course begins, you will significantly reduce your workload.

Always do some work before lectures/tutorials, and don't miss any lectures/tutorials. I know it is hard, especially when things get busy, but it will make those sessions far more useful - things won't just fly over your head.

Ask questions. If there is something you don't get, start writing an email with a question, and explain exactly what you don't understand. I often find the process of writing my question and outlining what I am stuck makes me answer my own question!

I would suggest always completing work for modules you struggle with before modules you find easy/enjoy. Otherwise, you will end up never actually doing the work for the more difficult modules.

St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by pocrates
Try not to worry too much. What year are you in and what are you studying? Some general tips:

Try to do some of the work for your modules in the breaks before the semester. So for your Semester 1 modules, do some work in the summer. For your Semester 2 modules, do some work over Christmas. This might involve revising any modules that are prerequisites. Alternatively, you can get the textbook/reading and work through that. Things get very busy during the semester, and if you have spent 5/6 weeks learning the content before the course begins, you will significantly reduce your workload.

Always do some work before lectures/tutorials, and don't miss any lectures/tutorials. I know it is hard, especially when things get busy, but it will make those sessions far more useful - things won't just fly over your head.

Ask questions. If there is something you don't get, start writing an email with a question, and explain exactly what you don't understand. I often find the process of writing my question and outlining what I am stuck makes me answer my own question!

I would suggest always completing work for modules you struggle with before modules you find easy/enjoy. Otherwise, you will end up never actually doing the work for the more difficult modules.

Thanks so much for your hearty suggestions, I'd try
Reply 3
It's really worrisome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending