The Student Room Group

Moving to the UK

Hey! I’m moving over there this fall for uni and wanted to chat or meet new people :smile:
not a bad idea. most people are kind and if you are kind or friendly then most would likely be kind to you.
just saying don't try to imitate the British accent as some may find it funny and some may find it offensive.
and different areas of England have different accents so pay attention to that.
also, not all of us "would like some tea" or like "tea" at all.
now this sounds a bit like a do not list but I'm just trying to give you a heads up.
Welcome to the UK CPH24.
Original post by CPH24
Hey! I’m moving over there this fall for uni and wanted to chat or meet new people :smile:

Hey!
Where in the the UK are you moving to? And where are you from?:biggrin:
Reply 3
I’m from America and i’m either moving to bristol or liverpool
that's so cool! what course will you be studying? and is it undergrad?
hi
Original post by CPH24
I’m from America and i’m either moving to bristol or liverpool

Are you by any chance doing vet med?
Hello - do you want some UK info?

We queue all the time, for lots of things, and we don't take kindly to people who jump the queue or stand in some sort of disorderly mess. You join the queue. If you're not sure whether or not someone in front of you is queuing, ask them if they're in the queue. Don't just assume they're not and proceed to stand all higgledy-piggledy.

As someone stated above, not everyone likes to drink tea (although a lot do), although you probably would be hard pressed to find a house that does not have an electric kettle - it's kind of standard in most homes.
Also, 4pm is not "tea time" - I don't even know where that came from. Some people call their evening meal "tea" - it's a regional thing. So some people call the three meals of the day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Other people say breakfast, dinner, and tea. Either way, not many people would eat an evening meal as early as 4pm. Normal would be about 5-6pm I would say.

You don't have to tip over here. Not that tips aren't appreciated, of course they are, but we actually pay our waiting staff a normal wage, like any other job, so don't worry nobody is living off tips in the UK.

Our prices in shops are the final price you pay when you get to the till. Tax is already included in the price label.

Our legal drinking age is 18.
Our legal age of consent is 16.
The legal age to drive is 17.

It rains a lot. Carry an umbrella.

Our washing machines live in our kitchens, not our bathrooms.

We can't decide what to call a round thinggy of bread:

Spoiler

Not even that picture is entirely accurate to be honest.
(edited 2 years ago)
Definitely the most useful post on this thread!!😊😂
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Also, 4pm is not "tea time" - I don't even know where that came from. Some people call their evening meal "tea" - it's a regional thing. So some people call the three meals of the day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Other people say breakfast, dinner, and tea.

We won't mention those who have 'supper'. :wink:
Good luck with it all, i'm sure you'll be fine! I live near Liverpool so if you end up going there and need suggestions of where to visit then feel free to ask :biggrin:
Original post by CPH24

We call it Autumn :smile:

This might help too:

https://www.spellzone.com/blog/Sixty_American_English_Words_and_their_British_English_Counterparts.htm

Quick Reply

Latest