The Student Room Group

MSc Psychology (Conversion) Open Uni

It's been a long time since I've posted here but I would be very keen for some advice.

A little background - I've been a qualified staff nurse for two years now (graduated early to go into the workforce thanks to Covid) and I absolutely love my job. Nursing has always been what I wanted to do, and I was so keen to get into it. I really have no intent to leave the profession, and in fact have been signposted for a Band 6 position when I hit 2 years.

The problem is I've always felt like I missed out on something with university. Nursing is a great course, I learned so much about myself, and it challenged me in a LOT of ways, but not much academically. I was a high achiever in school, and that feeling of wanting to learn more has stuck with me. I don't feel like I'm finished with uni just yet.

I looked at Masters degrees, and as I am an emergency department nurse, the offerings are Emergency Nurse Practitioner or Advanced Clinical Practitioner - neither of which are roles I would ever see myself wanting. The promotion path I'm going down is that of a clinical sister, a job which requires experience rather than further education.

I have a passion for psychology, and I found out that I could do a Masters course with the Open Uni (90 credits each year for 2 years) at a very reasonable price. With tuition loans, I would only have to pay approx £1000, which I feel is nothing for a further education, especially since the NHS paid my tuition fees the first time / I have no student loans or debts.

I have a few questions regarding this, however.

First, is 90 credits doable alongside working three 13 hour shifts a week OR four night shifts?

Second, would anyone recommend doing a Masters purely for the "love" of the subject, with no real, tangible career progression as a result?

Third, is it extremely difficult to do a psychology masters with a nursing Bachelor's? I did do very well in psychology A Level (AQA) but know that isn't much of an indicator.

Thank you so much for your input!
Hi

Great to hear you are thinking of going back into studying. I haven't used this forum before but found it whilst looking for something. I'm not sure if this helps but I have never been to uni before and work in the NHS in the IT side but have also had a passion for psychology due to work I do with our HR dept as an investigating manager for conduct investigation and was always intrigued by behaviours so have taken on the challenge of an BSc in psychology with the open uni. I am loving it but it is a challenge. I work 37.5hrs in NHS and the expectation is that I need to put in 15-18hrs per week for my part time 60 credits per year. It is doable though if you can be disciplined most of the time. My son is older and at uni so I don't have to worry about young children. If feels so good doing it and like you I am doing it for the love of it, more like a hobby as have no plans to seek are career in that field. I hope this helps, go for it you might doubt yourself at times but I am 3 assignment in with decent marks and so glad I started it.
Are you aware that you can study towards a BSc in Psychology (Fully accredited) and receive loans for all three years of study?

Psychology is an ELQ-exempt subject so despite already having a degree, you would still be eligible for tuition loans and a maintenance loan. You can only access this if you study the course 'part-time' but where Open Uni is fully online their 'full-time' equals part-time.

You might also be able to do a credit-transfer if your previous learning is relevant and that could shorten the time.

Just thought I'd highlight as not many people are aware.

With regards to your final question in particular - the conversion courses are designed to help someone with no psychology background to pick up and gain the equivalent of a BPS accreditation, rather than 'extended psychological research/study' as a separate, non-conversation Master's would be. If you're hard working and it's something you feel passionate about I say don't hesitate and go for it!
Reply 3
Go for it!! I am a health Visitor and completed the Post Grad Diploma in Psychology [Conversion with BPS] with the OU several years ago. I had previously studied at several red brick universities and have competed degrees and masters but this OU programme was much more organised, hugely interesting, well written and researched and so interesting. I wont lie - it is a lot of work but worth every minute of the labour! I would have no hesitation in recommending any OU psychology programmes! I am now teaching at Newcastle University in clinical leadership and use the psychology I learned in that course every day of my working life. Best of luck Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending