The Student Room Group

Accepting two offers at the same time

Hello everyone, it's me again. I received offers from two universities that I really like, but the scholarships I applied to only publish their results in June. Both universities request that you respond to the offer in early March and even make a deposit. Would it be acceptable for me to accept both offers and then when I find out if I win the scholarship, I reject the university for which I do not have financing? Could I ask you to extend the term to make the deposit? Is this common? I would prefer not to make the deposits but if I have no other choice I will.
Original post by Caro1234
Hello everyone, it's me again. I received offers from two universities that I really like, but the scholarships I applied to only publish their results in June. Both universities request that you respond to the offer in early March and even make a deposit. Would it be acceptable for me to accept both offers and then when I find out if I win the scholarship, I reject the university for which I do not have financing? Could I ask you to extend the term to make the deposit? Is this common? I would prefer not to make the deposits but if I have no other choice I will.

No, I don't think you can accept 2 offers at the same time unfortunately :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Caro1234

Assuming you are talking about postgraduate degrees, then it's perfectly normal to accept multiple offers and then reject the ones you don't want once you've got the info you need to make a decision. Universities will rarely extend the term to pay a deposit, unfortunately.
Original post by threeportdrift
Assuming you are talking about postgraduate degrees, then it's perfectly normal to accept multiple offers and then reject the ones you don't want once you've got the info you need to make a decision. Universities will rarely extend the term to pay a deposit, unfortunately.

Thanks for this - I wasn't aware of this :smile:
Reply 4
Yes, sorry, I forgot to clarify that I am applying to taught postgraduate programs and to each university independently. Thanks a lot for the help! I was really worried that I could miss a place
Hi - I am currently in the same situation and was wondering if you were ok putting down a deposit for two different universities?
Original post by ajaj3030
Hi - I am currently in the same situation and was wondering if you were ok putting down a deposit for two different universities?

You can pay 20 deposits if you really want to. It’s just that you are liable to lose them if you don’t take up the place.

It’s common to ask for short extensions to juggle deadlines, but the unis may not be able to give you the time you need. No harm in asking though.
Original post by Admit-One
You can pay 20 deposits if you really want to. It’s just that you are liable to lose them if you don’t take up the place.

It’s common to ask for short extensions to juggle deadlines, but the unis may not be able to give you the time you need. No harm in asking though.

I don't mind losing the deposit. I got my first offer 2 months before my second. One requires me to get a 1:1, the other wants a 2:1. My grade average is exactly 70% so it is a 50/50 either way. I had already accepted the first class offer and want to accept the second class as a backup.

My concern is that I could be liable to then lose both places if the unis found out I put down two deposits. The unis in question are Imperial and UCL
I don't mind losing the deposit. I got my first offer 2 months before my second. One requires me to get a 1:1, the other wants a 2:1. My grade average is exactly 70% so it is a 50/50 either way. I had already accepted the first class offer and want to accept the second class as a backup.

My concern is that I could be liable to then lose both places if the unis found out I put down two deposits. The unis in question are Imperial and UCL

If they are both postgrad courses then there’s no way for them to find out and it’s not that uncommon to accept multiple offers anyway. I’m sure one of them would be happy to keep the deposit :smile:
Original post by Admit-One
If they are both postgrad courses then there’s no way for them to find out and it’s not that uncommon to accept multiple offers anyway. I’m sure one of them would be happy to keep the deposit :smile:

Ok, this is reassuring. Would it even be legal for one university to share details of me putting down a deposit to the other without my permission?
Ok, this is reassuring. Would it even be legal for one university to share details of me putting down a deposit to the other without my permission?

Why would they? Do you think every university that makes a student an offer and gets an acceptance checks every other university in the country (world?) to see if they've accepted an offer elsewhere?

If you are in the rare and fortunate position to be able to afford to lose a deposit, just do it. The university gets a student or a deposit, and they don't much care which.

No.
Original post by threeportdrift
Why would they? Do you think every university that makes a student an offer and gets an acceptance checks every other university in the country (world?) to see if they've accepted an offer elsewhere?

If you are in the rare and fortunate position to be able to afford to lose a deposit, just do it. The university gets a student or a deposit, and they don't much care which.

I honestly did not know if they communicate. Throughout this, and also when reading the borderline classification details for my uni, I find that a lot of the regulations are somewhat hazy and unclear and as of such have been struggling to come to any sort of safe decision. Putting down a second deposit is a very much last resort, if I need to lose it so be it but ultimately it will cause a huge strain, and as of such I want to make sure doing so wont cause further issues

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending