The Student Room Group

Do you need a driving license to train as a gp?

I want to become a gp after med school but I personally dont drive. I get very bad anxiety from driving and prefer taking the bus. Would using a bus pass be acceptable for gp training?
Original post by wiccan404
I want to become a gp after med school but I personally dont drive. I get very bad anxiety from driving and prefer taking the bus. Would using a bus pass be acceptable for gp training?

It makes things challenging - there is a section on the ST application where you have to confirm that you have a car or that you will take responsibility for arranging an alternative form of reliable transport. Indeed, it is listed under "essential criteria" on the person specification: https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk/portals/1/Content/Person%20Specifications/General%20Practice/GENERAL%20PRACTICE%20-%20ST1%202022.pdf

A bus pass...is not fantastic for home visits. Depending on whereabouts in the country you're training, it's also not great for hospital jobs either.

That said, my personal feeling is that in the current climate with the seemingly never-ending shortage of GPs and desperation to fill ST places there will be a way around it if you're absolutely adamant that you don't want to drive.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
It makes things challenging - there is a section on the ST application where you have to confirm that you have a car or that you will take responsibility for arranging an alternative form of reliable transport. Indeed, it is listed under "essential criteria" on the person specification: https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk/portals/1/Content/Person%20Specifications/General%20Practice/GENERAL%20PRACTICE%20-%20ST1%202022.pdf

A bus pass...is not fantastic for home visits. Depending on whereabouts in the country you're training, it's also not great for hospital jobs either.

That said, my personal feeling is that in the current climate with the seemingly never-ending shortage of GPs and desperation to fill ST places there will be a way around it if you're absolutely adamant that you don't want to drive.

Okay i think i will try taking automatic car driving lessons when i am completing the foundation years. Or do you think i should take them during medical school?
Okay i think i will try taking automatic car driving lessons when i am completing the foundation years. Or do you think i should take them during medical school?

Definitely medical school. Trying to fit driving lessons around FY jobs (nights, long days, weekends, crap rotas, general exhaustion) is just making your life needlessly difficult.
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy

Also i forgot to mention i have schizophrenia. The medication i am taking advises that i do not drive a car. Will this affect my chance of getting onto gp training?
Also i forgot to mention i have schizophrenia. The medication i am taking advises that i do not drive a car. Will this affect my chance of getting onto gp training?

If you can't drive due to medical reasons then the GP training programme should accommodate this and provide you with alternative options. This is something to discuss with occupational health.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending