The Student Room Group

what happens after gp training?

So once you become a qualified gp do you have to find/apply for salaried gp jobs or do you get to continue working at the same gp surgery that you did your training at?
Original post by wiccan404
So once you become a qualified gp do you have to find/apply for salaried gp jobs or do you get to continue working at the same gp surgery that you did your training at?

You can locum, find a salaried position, or join a partnership. Or do something else entirely (fellowship, time out, etc).

Whether you can continue to work at the same surgery you were a registrar in depends on if they have work going!
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
You can locum, find a salaried position, or join a partnership. Or do something else entirely (fellowship, time out, etc).

Whether you can continue to work at the same surgery you were a registrar in depends on if they have work going!

okay i was just wondering because i couldnt find any vacancies available in the town that i live in,
okay i was just wondering because i couldnt find any vacancies available in the town that i live in,

Where are you looking for vacancies? At any rate, GP is a shortage specialty so you're not going to be unemployed :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Where are you looking for vacancies? At any rate, GP is a shortage specialty so you're not going to be unemployed :smile:

Just trying to get a view of the job market for a gp.
Reply 5
You can locum your way to 6 figures after 3 short years of GP training. And while you're at it, have a little laugh at your colleagues who are gunning for 10 years of competitive surgical specialties so they can make the big bucks in private practice, only to find out the private market is too cut-throat and oversaturated for them to get a foothold. By this time, you've already been earning a consultant salary 5-6 years earlier than they have, and you don't have to suffer through the registrar life like they do. Job done. :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by asif007
You can locum your way to 6 figures after 3 short years of GP training. And while you're at it, have a little laugh at your colleagues who are gunning for 10 years of competitive surgical specialties so they can make the big bucks in private practice, only to find out the private market is too cut-throat and oversaturated for them to get a foothold. By this time, you've already been earning a consultant salary 5-6 years earlier than they have, and you don't have to suffer through the registrar life like they do. Job done. :tongue:

Sounds great. Are there plenty of gp jobs through locuming? Where do you apply for a locum job?
Reply 7
Sounds great. Are there plenty of gp jobs through locuming? Where do you apply for a locum job?

Last I checked, there was a pretty wide range of short-term and long-term locum jobs on offer all over the UK. Google “GP locum jobs UK” and see all the websites with several job adverts. Apply for them online or contact locum agencies directly. No guarantee you will get all the work close to home though so you’ll have to be prepared to travel a bit. Look at local market rates in your area to see how much you should be paid fairly. Personally I wouldn’t work for less than £100 an hour outside London if I was you. But you have complete freedom to decide how frequently you want to work and how much money you will accept or turn down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending