The Student Room Group

I can't afford university

I've been thinking about dropping out of my Univesity since I can't afford to be here. I get close to the minimum loan, which is about £4000 and the government expects my parents to help out with the rest. which they can't at the moment since they are struggling. I have been cut off financially by
my parents since I'm an adult now. I do have a part time job , but the hours get in the way with my seminars and lectures . so i don't know what to do .
Original post by AMAZING1243
I've been thinking about dropping out of my Univesity since I can't afford to be here. I get close to the minimum loan, which is about £4000 and the government expects my parents to help out with the rest. which they can't at the moment since they are struggling. I have been cut off financially by
my parents since I'm an adult now. I do have a part time job , but the hours get in the way with my seminars and lectures . so i don't know what to do .

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear this. I had a similar issue last year. I contacted my university finance team and explained my situation and they asked me fill out a form to apply for financial help, it worked and I got offered a grant that I didn't have to pay back. Your university should have a similar system, so I would go to them and explain your situation and someone should be there to help.
You could always take a year out and work full time to save money. I did this before uni and if I didn't then I definitely wouldn't have been able to afford uni.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Every university in the country will have a student hardship support fund, which is designed to support students in financial difficulty by providing grants / interest free loans to help you out. Worth asking about that to see what they can do to help - you'll likely start find it by google searching '[university name] hardship fund'

Sorry to hear you are going through this at the moment though - definitely see what you can do to improve your situation. If you can hold out until the summer you have the chance then to work full time / get an internship which can then set you up for the next academic year.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear this. I had a similar issue last year. I contacted my university finance team and explained my situation and they asked me fill out a form to apply for financial help, it worked and I got offered a grant that I didn't have to pay back. Your university should have a similar system, so I would go to them and explain your situation and someone should be there to help.
You could always take a year out and work full time to save money. I did this before uni and if I didn't then I definitely wouldn't have been able to afford uni.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you for that information, I never knew the hardship fund existed. Hopefully, Birmingham city uni has one xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending