The Student Room Group

Dissertation or Exam?

I need to choose my final year modules for Accounting and Finance, I have chosen the other modules. However, I have 40 credits left. I have 2 options.

1) Pick 2 modules which are 20 credits each- In Class Test (Worth 30%) and Exam (Worth 70%)

or option 2

2) Choose 1 Module worth 40 credits 8,000 word Report (Worth 80%) Presentation (Worth 20%)

I am generally better at coursework as I get very stressed with exams, however, I have never done close to 8,000 words. The most I have done is 1,500 word, so I am not sure if I will be able to do well. I have done my January exams and I got a first in 2 of them, but I a 2:2 in the third exam - ( I knew I hadn't done very well as I left revision late due to my anxiety)

P.S - the dissertation will run the whole year long, so it won't be just for one semester.

Could anyone give me tips on making my decision please? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x
Depends on the subject but I’d go for the dissertation. 8000 words is less than 29 pages. Most of my BTEC assignments have been longer than that. And hopefully your mentor will give you guidance.
Go for the 40 credit one 8000 words isn’t that much my dissertation was 10,000 words.
Original post by Finlay345
I need to choose my final year modules for Accounting and Finance, I have chosen the other modules. However, I have 40 credits left. I have 2 options.

1) Pick 2 modules which are 20 credits each- In Class Test (Worth 30%) and Exam (Worth 70%)

or option 2

2) Choose 1 Module worth 40 credits 8,000 word Report (Worth 80%) Presentation (Worth 20%)

I am generally better at coursework as I get very stressed with exams, however, I have never done close to 8,000 words. The most I have done is 1,500 word, so I am not sure if I will be able to do well. I have done my January exams and I got a first in 2 of them, but I a 2:2 in the third exam - ( I knew I hadn't done very well as I left revision late due to my anxiety)

P.S - the dissertation will run the whole year long, so it won't be just for one semester.

Could anyone give me tips on making my decision please? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x

Hello!

I think if you feel you are better at coursework, dissertation is probably the one for you.

8,000 words is very daunting but you will have so much to write about and you get to pick the topic. I have found my motivation for my dissertation is higher than I thought it would be because I am enjoying the topic.

You will also have a tutor who can help you and put some guidance in place if you find that you are struggling.

Exams would be less words but if you feel you won’t perform as well with that exam pressure then it may not be the one for you.

At the end of the day it’s your choice. You could book a tutorial with an academic tutor as they know you and the course best!

I hope this helps,
Lydia

or option 2

Hi @Finlay345! I'm in my third year and just finished my dissertation last month so I know how daunting it feels! Realistically, although it's 8000 words, you break it down into sections - so maybe your introduction will be 1000 words that you can write over a week perhaps, and then you've got 7000 words left... (1500 words for another section, 1000 words for another etc.)! I felt so nervous about my dissertation, but once I broke everything down into manageable sections and created a plan/ deadlines of when to get things written by, it wasn't so bad at all and I kind of just got into a routine.

I suppose the decision is whether you want to work on something throughout the whole year and feel more secure that you'll get a good grade, or whether you want to sit a test and exam that doesn't last as long and maybe feel less unsure of the grade you might get?

It depends how confident you feel with the content you're learning too, but there's absolutely no right or wrong answer!

Good luck with making your decision :smile:

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student
if you are better at course work than exams then do the dissertation.
Reply 6
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello!

I think if you feel you are better at coursework, dissertation is probably the one for you.

8,000 words is very daunting but you will have so much to write about and you get to pick the topic. I have found my motivation for my dissertation is higher than I thought it would be because I am enjoying the topic.

You will also have a tutor who can help you and put some guidance in place if you find that you are struggling.

Exams would be less words but if you feel you won’t perform as well with that exam pressure then it may not be the one for you.

At the end of the day it’s your choice. You could book a tutorial with an academic tutor as they know you and the course best!

I hope this helps,
Lydia

Thank you so much, I have decided to go for the dissertation :smile: x
Reply 7
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hi @Finlay345! I'm in my third year and just finished my dissertation last month so I know how daunting it feels! Realistically, although it's 8000 words, you break it down into sections - so maybe your introduction will be 1000 words that you can write over a week perhaps, and then you've got 7000 words left... (1500 words for another section, 1000 words for another etc.)! I felt so nervous about my dissertation, but once I broke everything down into manageable sections and created a plan/ deadlines of when to get things written by, it wasn't so bad at all and I kind of just got into a routine.

I suppose the decision is whether you want to work on something throughout the whole year and feel more secure that you'll get a good grade, or whether you want to sit a test and exam that doesn't last as long and maybe feel less unsure of the grade you might get?

It depends how confident you feel with the content you're learning too, but there's absolutely no right or wrong answer!

Good luck with making your decision :smile:

Emma

Thank you so much for replying. I think I will be better off working on something all year round, as I'd feel a lot more confident. Compared to sitting just the one exam. I have decided to go for the dissertation:smile: x
Thank you so much, I have decided to go for the dissertation :smile: x

I am glad you have come to a decision.

Good luck with that!

Lydia :smile:
Thank you so much for replying. I think I will be better off working on something all year round, as I'd feel a lot more confident. Compared to sitting just the one exam. I have decided to go for the dissertation:smile: x

Hi @Finlay345 - that's great news, congratulations! It wasn't an easy decision to make but hopefully you feel a bit more relieved now :smile: Let me know if there's anything I can help with for your dissertation!

Emma
A whole year to write 8000 words? I'd suggest you do the dissertation given that you struggle with exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending