The Student Room Group

Psychology

Hello, I want to study psychology at university and was wondering what a levels I’d need for this?
Most universities prefer you to have a science-y based subject which can range from: Psychology; Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics; Geography; Economics; Statistics; Computing but also like you to have a broad range of interest due to the multifaceted nature of the subject.

But each university is different, I would suggest looking at a range of them on website like uni guide or whatuni and also UCAS.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Isabella.193
Hello, I want to study psychology at university and was wondering what a levels I’d need for this?

@Isabella.193
I've just finished my MSc in Psychology.

Beneficial A levels would be things like Psychology (obviously), Biology would be useful if there is some content on neuroscience on your degree, and mathematics would be useful for statistical analysis.

Manchester Met expect B,B,B in A levels which is 120 UCAS tariff points, they don't specify which subjects you need (a lot of Uni's don't, they just say General Studies are not included)

If you did an Access to H.E course they typically want around 112 tariff points instead

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

It is good to hear you are thinking of your options now! Every university will have different entry requirements, some may require you to have a relevant subject or some may not have any subject-specific requirements. I would recommend you take a look at Psychology courses on UCAS here: You can search by subject and location which may help narrow down your choices: https://digital.ucas.com/search

For example here at Manchester Met, we currently ask for 120 UCAS points which is BBB at A-Level and we do not ask for any specific subject requirements.

It is definitely worth looking around to see what your preferred universities would like from you!

Hope this helps! Good luck with your search

Carly :smile:
Thank you !!
Hey.

I’m just about to graduate from BSc Psychology at Swansea. Most universities don’t specify subjects that you need to take for psychology but quite a few will offer you reduced grade offers if you do take a science subject. These vary but usually include psychology, biology, chemistry and physics.

I’d recommended that you choose subjects that you enjoy as that’s the most important thing. There’s also no harm in searching university entry requirements of universities that take your fancy.
Thanks for this also would psychology, history & business be ok?

My teacher got a masters from a UCL and she did Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology. So from my understanding you will need more scientific subjects.
Thanks for this also would psychology, history & business be ok?

Yes, this would be a great combination! As long as it is subjects you are going to enjoy studying :smile:
I’m not sure if I’m too late but honestly. The only psychological course I took was criminology. I took art and media studies additionally
Despite this I still got all three offers to psychology and have just confirmed my Swansea course.
Hope that helps - good luck

Quick Reply

Latest