The Student Room Group
University of York
York

What is life like in the University of York?

Hi there, just wondering what I can expect from the University of York. I've have had a look around and it is beautiful. However, I'm basically wondering what it's like for the students:
How are the social clubs?
What is the night life like e.g. pubs or parties etc?
How is the accommodation generally (I know it does depend on the bracket)?
What is the student support like?
:bump: I'd like to know this too.
University of York
York
Would like to know this too ! !
Original post by CawlsTechSupport
Hi there, just wondering what I can expect from the University of York. I've have had a look around and it is beautiful. However, I'm basically wondering what it's like for the students:
How are the social clubs?
What is the night life like e.g. pubs or parties etc?
How is the accommodation generally (I know it does depend on the bracket)?
What is the student support like?

Hi there,

I’m a York grad and I’ve lived here for around five years now. I agree that it’s a beautiful place to live, and can reassure you that it’s a fantastic student city!

Social Clubs
There are hundreds of societies at York! Joining a society is a great way to meet new people and carry on a hobby/sport or learn something new! I was so happy that I could continue to play in musical groups and bands, and I also tried new things like rowing, baking and dancing. You can do taster sessions and try lots of different things before committing to anything. You can also choose how involved you want to be - if you want to be involved casually in a club/sport or if you want to be more involved and join the committee and run the club! When you’re at uni, you have an amazing opportunity to try loads of new things and get involved at a fraction of the price it would cost outside uni. Now that I've graduated, I have loads of great memories but I wish I had tried more things!

Night Life
York actually got voted best place for a night out recently! Since York is a touristy city, hospitality is thriving so we’ve got loads of pubs and bars and social places to hang out in town. There are also uni bars and social spaces on campus as well. Often students start a night out in a campus bar, then move into town. There are also on-campus events/parties that are popular with students.

- List of club nights in York
- Events

We’re not a huge city, so some students go to Leeds for a bigger night out (it’s approx. 20 mins on a direct train to Leeds). If you aren’t a big drinker, then there are still loads of things to do in York. In my third year, we did brunch once a week at a different independent cafe and still didn’t cover them all!

Accommodation

There are lots of different types of accommodation, so there should be something that suits everyone - whether that’s catered/self-catered, ensuite/shared bathroom or whether you want to live on Campus East or Campus West. In general, the accommodation on Campus East is newer (we have two new colleges and the whole Campus was built fairly recently) and this means that it can be a bit pricier in general. As you say, it depends on the bracket!

I was in Vanbrugh College and had a great experience in first year, but I guess it depends on what you are looking for! If you need help choosing your accommodation options, let us know :smile:

Student Support

This page on our website has lots of useful information about student support at York. We also have some great blogs written by our students about their experiences of student support, which may be really useful to read. You have a really thorough support system around you throughout your studies. There is also 24 hr security available on campus to help you feel safe. I used the Open Door service to have someone to talk to during a difficult period and I can honestly say that they were fantastic.

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Hiya,

First year Law student moving onto their second year now.

In terms of societies there are so many to be a part of. Because York is a collegiate system, they have uni level sport for those who are really talented and good at sport, and then there is college level sport for those who are interested in pursuing a sport but are less confident in their abilities. I am on the Law Society committee and social secretary for a college sports team; as long as you put yourself out there there are plenty of societies to be a part of. There are societies for literally everything, there's Dog Soc, Yoga Soc, I know they also have a DnD one if that's your thing and a climbing/mountaineering one.

Night life is generally quite good. There are loads of bars and pubs and also a variety of clubs to go to as well. There's a really broad range of places to go depending on what type of night out you want to go to. The biggest night out is Wednesday night as that's when all the sports societies go to Salvos if that's your thing. Alternatively there are so many bars and pubs which do good food and good drinks. Prices are generally alright - I'm from London so it's certainly cheaper than a London night out. York is also right next to Leeds and it's a half hour train to get there.

Accomodation is good generally. I'm in Langwith College which is on Campus East and is generally more modern. More colleges are being built on East and it's becoming busier and more of a hub despite it being further away from the city. Campus West is slightly cheaper for accomodation and busier. Honestly, colleges are more for accomodation than anything else and you will definitely mix with people outside your flat and college so I'd say go for the one that meets your budget and also is most convenient for you. The Law School is on Campus East and a lot of the sciences are on Campus West so if location is important to you then I'd say go for that. There is a bus which goes from Campus East to West every 15/20 mins although this can vary and the walk to the other campus is manageable.

The student support is good at York, it's one of the reasons I chose it. If you need help you can get counselling and support from your college or flag it up with your course supervisor who can escalate it with your department if necessary. There is also the STYC and STYM programme in most colleges I think where your flat is paired up with a STYM (a mentor you have for most of the year) and a group of STYCs (who will look after you during freshers week). This was really helpful especially in the first couple of weeks of term when you're finding your feet. Also in societies like Law Soc, they do have wellbeing and outreach officers who are also there to support you.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you very much, helped a lot !
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

I’m a York grad and I’ve lived here for around five years now. I agree that it’s a beautiful place to live, and can reassure you that it’s a fantastic student city!

Social Clubs
There are hundreds of societies at York! Joining a society is a great way to meet new people and carry on a hobby/sport or learn something new! I was so happy that I could continue to play in musical groups and bands, and I also tried new things like rowing, baking and dancing. You can do taster sessions and try lots of different things before committing to anything. You can also choose how involved you want to be - if you want to be involved casually in a club/sport or if you want to be more involved and join the committee and run the club! When you’re at uni, you have an amazing opportunity to try loads of new things and get involved at a fraction of the price it would cost outside uni. Now that I've graduated, I have loads of great memories but I wish I had tried more things!

Night Life
York actually got voted best place for a night out recently! Since York is a touristy city, hospitality is thriving so we’ve got loads of pubs and bars and social places to hang out in town. There are also uni bars and social spaces on campus as well. Often students start a night out in a campus bar, then move into town. There are also on-campus events/parties that are popular with students.

- List of club nights in York
- Events

We’re not a huge city, so some students go to Leeds for a bigger night out (it’s approx. 20 mins on a direct train to Leeds). If you aren’t a big drinker, then there are still loads of things to do in York. In my third year, we did brunch once a week at a different independent cafe and still didn’t cover them all!

Accommodation

There are lots of different types of accommodation, so there should be something that suits everyone - whether that’s catered/self-catered, ensuite/shared bathroom or whether you want to live on Campus East or Campus West. In general, the accommodation on Campus East is newer (we have two new colleges and the whole Campus was built fairly recently) and this means that it can be a bit pricier in general. As you say, it depends on the bracket!

I was in Vanbrugh College and had a great experience in first year, but I guess it depends on what you are looking for! If you need help choosing your accommodation options, let us know :smile:

Student Support

This page on our website has lots of useful information about student support at York. We also have some great blogs written by our students about their experiences of student support, which may be really useful to read. You have a really thorough support system around you throughout your studies. There is also 24 hr security available on campus to help you feel safe. I used the Open Door service to have someone to talk to during a difficult period and I can honestly say that they were fantastic.

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:

Hi, sorry for the lack of response. Thank you for your comment. I was also wondering what is the transportation between York and York Uni like, I'm aware that there is a bus. However, how much is it, how frequent does it come and how late does that route operate. Thanks again.
Original post by CawlsTechSupport
Hi, sorry for the lack of response. Thank you for your comment. I was also wondering what is the transportation between York and York Uni like, I'm aware that there is a bus. However, how much is it, how frequent does it come and how late does that route operate. Thanks again.

There are two buses from the University to the city centre:

66 goes from York train station to the University

67 goes from York train station to York Sport Village

It takes about 20 minutes to travel between campus and the city centre and the combined frequency of these buses is every ten minutes.

The last bus depends on the day. A full timetable for routes 66 and 67 is available here, but the last 67 is usually between about 6 and 7pm and the last 66 between 11pm and midnight.

There's also a new Clubbers bus though, which runs seven days a week, and will get you from the city centre to the University between midnight and 4am. The timetable for the Clubbers bus is here.
The cost depends how you pay, but with an annual student ticket, you can get unlimited travel with First York for less than 70p a day. You can find more information on ticket prices here.

I hope this helps :smile:

Chris

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending