The Student Room Group

University moving to block teaching while i'm on placement

I'm on a Game Art course at De Montfort university and I am currently in my 2nd year. As far as I know, I'm the only person in my year to be going on placement next year. There's been talk about moving to block teaching next year under Education 2030 and my course got an exemption for next year, meaning my cohort will all complete 3rd year as normal under the old system. Under the old system, there was also room for people to complete 3rd year remotely by submitting work from their job or placement (if they had alreadu secured one). This works under the old (current) assessment criteria.

Yesterday, I was told under education 2030 I will no longer be able to stay on at my placement and complete remotely, and i'd be expected to return and sit 3rd year under the new (untested) education 2030 curriculum. This block teaching method is going to drastically overhaul the structure of our course, as previously it's been quite essential to complete modules concurrently in order to retain fundamental skills. So complete module overhaul, i'll be in the "test run" year, i can't stay in my job (which almost every intern for the last several years has done.... so losing a year's salary & paying accomodation costs) and to add insult to injury, i'm the only one in my year this effects as the rest of my cohort will graduate next year.

I feel as though this information was deliberately withheld from me meaning I couldn't make an informed choice about applying for/accepting my place on this placement this year. Had I known, I likely wouldn't have applied and completed 3rd year with the rest of my year.

What are my options? Do i stand any chance of getting some kind of negotiation/exemption? I'm considering calling some other universities that offer my course and seeing if I can move into another 3rd year following my placement year. I'm pissed off and really frustrated i've been messed around this much by the university and my faculty who failed to communicate this to me until now.
I sympathise with your situation.

As I understand what you're saying, the Education 2030 changes are coming in next academic year, university-wide. Your course has an exemption that means that students currently in their 2nd year can complete their 3rd year under the old system. However, this exception does not apply to the ability (available to previous cohorts) "for people to complete 3rd year remotely by submitting work from their job or placement (if they had alreadu secured one)." Have I got that right? I guess I'm asking whether, from September, you can do your placement year and your 3rd year academic year alongside each other - which you imply was an option in the past. Can you? Or has that never been an option anyway and I've misunderstood what you've meant with "submitting work from their job or placement"?

So, unless anything changes, you'll go on placement next year, being unable to perform your 3rd year studies during that same year (which I suspect you weren't planning on doing anyway and are only mentioning now as it would have avoided the block-teaching method), and will then return to DMU under the new block-teaching method, which in untried and untested, to complete your 3rd academic year. Right?

It there an option to ditch the placement year which you've secured and to complete the third year with the rest of your cohort under the existing system, using the exemption which your course has? Does this has financial implications? You say, "i can't stay in my job (which almost every intern for the last several years has done.... so losing a year's salary & paying accomodation costs)" but I can't work out whether you're talking about losing income during your placement year or losing income during the following year - where you expect to be in the same job, doing your 3rd year remotely.

You ask, "Do i stand any chance of getting some kind of negotiation/exemption?" I suspect the answer to that depends on what you ask for. If you want to return to DMU, having spent a year on placement, and complete the 3rd academic year under the old system - that's not going to happen. If the option ever existed (and it's not clear to whether or not it did) to complete your third academic year remotely - alongside your placement - then that would seem like a reasonable thing for them to let you do, as the rest of your cohort will be studying using the old system during that academic year anyway. I can't help feeling that I must have misunderstood this option though - as the idea of working full-time on a placement whilst also studying full-time remotely seems like an awful lot of work.

You say, "I'm considering calling some other universities that offer my course and seeing if I can move into another 3rd year following my placement year." You should definitely call them and ask, just so you know whether that's an option which is open to you.

(BTW, you're not the first person to post on TSR about the way that DMU have mishandled the move to block teaching under Education 2030, and I'm sure you won't be the last.)
Reply 2
Hi, @DataVenia thank you for the advice! I've realised i've done quite a bad job of explaining the situation due to it being quite confusing so i'll do my best to clarify.

What was previously possible under Pre-2030 system was the option to do 1st year > 2nd year > Placement year > Stay on at the company you completed placement with and complete 3rd year remote. So 4 years, but you aren't "at uni" for 3rd. (Some other versions of this were also possible like 1st > 2nd > Part of 3rd but gained a job part way through 3rd year, so completed 3rd remotely from their new company. ) Typically the way this works is you submit work you're doing for your company as the assessible outcomes for 3rd year alongside assessment from your manager, and they're approved and graded by lecturers who have access to this work under special nondisclosure agreements.

What they told me is that this option is no longer going to be available under 2030 due to changes in assessment criteria, so I would need to do 1st > 2nd > placement > return for 3rd year under the new education 2030 system. This 3rd year will not look anything like the 3rd year my friends in the year above and my peers will complete next year, as all the modules need to be overhauled for 2030. So I'll basically be completing a brand new version of 3rd year, and I'll have to leave my "job" (placement, they're paying me).

One of the options I'm looking into is whether it would be possible to complete my placement year remotely while doing my 3rd year like the "4th year" option, but in my 3rd year. I'm not sure if I stand any likelihood of getting approved for this, but I've enquired with my course lead as to whether this could be an option for me.

I've already signed my contract for my placement- that's definitely going ahead - so I don't have the option to stay and complete the old system 3rd year either. I unfortunately wasn't given enough information earlier in the year to make an informed decision about how education 2030 would impact me if I went on placement. Previously they had said that education 2030 "wouldn't affect the structure of 3rd year that significantly" but this has since been backtracked as further clarification has arisen and it's looking like the module structure of 3rd year will be noticeably impacted. It used to be 2 smaller professional practice modules (which will stay, as block 1 and block 2) and then a 14-week final major project that's the culmination of the skills on the course, which will now need to be split, somehow, into two smaller, separate assessable outcomes for blocks 3 and 4. So no key portfolio piece outcome.

I think my options are:
Attempt to negotiate some exception to allow me to complete my placement and 3rd year next year
Negotiate on how the assessible criteria could be adapted to support the original 4-year remote final year structure.
Find another university that still does final major project in final year, or would be willing to facilitate me sitting final year remotely, that would take me after my placement ended.
Do my placement and sit 3rd year under the new education 2030 guidelines.
? unless you can think of anything else I could try
I get it now. Thanks for the clarifications!

Original post by aspalax
One of the options I'm looking into is whether it would be possible to complete my placement year remotely while doing my 3rd year like the "4th year" option, but in my 3rd year. I'm not sure if I stand any likelihood of getting approved for this, but I've enquired with my course lead as to whether this could be an option for me.

I think that this would be the best outcome, and I think you should push for this. It is DMU's poor advice (for example, being told that the changes "wouldn't affect the structure of 3rd year that significantly") so they should be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions. Personally, I can't see why they'd object to this idea. That doesn't mean that they won't.

Original post by aspalax
I've already signed my contract for my placement- that's definitely going ahead - so I don't have the option to stay and complete the old system 3rd year either.

When you selected this course you did so based upon the information provided by the university, and there was an obvious implication that this description was accurate and would remain accurate during the duration of the course. Imagine signing-up for a 24-month mobile contract which had unlimited calls, texts and data - only to be told 12 months in they they've replaced the "texts" element with something else. What I'm saying is that the university have breached the (implied) contract you had with them by changing the structure of the course for existing students (not just new students joining). So, if you wanted to, you'd be perfectly within your rights to cancel the placement contract on the basis that the university has removed the option to undertake that placement and to then complete the current course.

I completely understand that you might not want to take that option (either because you don't want to break the contract, or because you were really looking forward to the placement), but don't rule it out as one of your available options. However, don't mention it as an option when negotiating with the university. You want them to think that you're locked-in to the placement (and only opted to do it based upon the poor advice which they gave), so they have to show flexibility by allowing you to do your 3rd year assignments during that placement year.

Original post by aspalax
I think my options are:
Attempt to negotiate some exception to allow me to complete my placement and 3rd year next year
Negotiate on how the assessible criteria could be adapted to support the original 4-year remote final year structure.
Find another university that still does final major project in final year, or would be willing to facilitate me sitting final year remotely, that would take me after my placement ended.
Do my placement and sit 3rd year under the new education 2030 guidelines.
? unless you can think of anything else I could try

I think that covers it (other than possibly ditching the placement, which I know you feel you can't do).

I think you have a strong case for being allowed to do your 3rd-year assignments whilst on placement, but I'm not sure that means you'll be successful in your negotiation efforts.

When negotiating, remind them that "Some other versions of this were also possible like 1st > 2nd > Part of 3rd but gained a job part way through 3rd year, so completed 3rd remotely from their new company." All you're trying to do it reduce the part of the 3rd year spend at uni and increase the part spend remotely, whilst on placement (to 0% and 100% respectively).

Thinking about it, does your placement start on the same date that that your 3rd year at uni would start? If it's a couple of weeks later, you could actually start the 3rd year at uni, and then switch to the placement after a couple of weeks. This seems to fit the "gained a job part way through 3rd year" way of doing things, which they allow.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
I get it now. Thanks for the clarifications!

I think that this would be the best outcome, and I think you should push for this. It is DMU's poor advice (for example, being told that the changes "wouldn't affect the structure of 3rd year that significantly") so they should be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions. Personally, I can't see why they'd object to this idea. That doesn't mean that they won't.

When you selected this course you did so based upon the information provided by the university, and there was an obvious implication that this description was accurate and would remain accurate during the duration of the course. Imagine signing-up for a 24-month mobile contract which had unlimited calls, texts and data - only to be told 12 months in they they've replaced the "texts" element with something else. What I'm saying is that the university have breached the (implied) contract you had with them by changing the structure of the course for existing students (not just new students joining). So, if you wanted to, you'd be perfectly within your rights to cancel the placement contract on the basis that the university has removed the option to undertake that placement and to then complete the current course.

I completely understand that you might not want to take that option (either because you don't want to break the contract, or because you were really looking forward to the placement), but don't rule it out as one of your available options. However, don't mention it as an option when negotiating with the university. You want them to think that you're locked-in to the placement (and only opted to do it based upon the poor advice which they gave), so they have to show flexibility by allowing you to do your 3rd year assignments during that placement year.

I think that covers it (other than possibly ditching the placement, which I know you feel you can't do).

I think you have a strong case for being allowed to do your 3rd-year assignments whilst on placement, but I'm not sure that means you'll be successful in your negotiation efforts.

When negotiating, remind them that "Some other versions of this were also possible like 1st > 2nd > Part of 3rd but gained a job part way through 3rd year, so completed 3rd remotely from their new company." All you're trying to do it reduce the part of the 3rd year spend at uni and increase the part spend remotely, whilst on placement (to 0% and 100% respectively).

Thinking about it, does your placement start on the same date that that your 3rd year at uni would start? If it's a couple of weeks later, you could actually start the 3rd year at uni, and then switch to the placement after a couple of weeks. This seems to fit the "gained a job part way through 3rd year" way of doing things, which they allow.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for this! really helpful, super appreciate you breaking it down to give me an idea of what leverage to take.

It's also extremely unclear if this is going to affect current students or not, as on their website they state "It’s not practical to move all students onto the new programmes at the same time, as it would take an enormous amount of new teaching preparation. It’s more practical to allow incoming first year students to start on the new programmes in 2022-23 with continuing students completing their current programme (for example, phased implementation which avoids consumer regulation issues). It will take three cycles for all year groups to be studying on the new programmes." implying it will be added gradually, but this directly contradicts what my course leader and other staff have said, which is that it will be mandated for all years. I've requested a meeting with my course lead to try and discuss this and come to some kind of conclusion/arrangement... we will see what happens.

My placement starts and ends in July, so quite a way before my 3rd year would start, but our course typically ends early (May, due to lack of exams) so i'd probably take the angle that i'll still be on placement the whole duration of the academic year.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by aspalax
I'm on a Game Art course at De Montfort university and I am currently in my 2nd year. As far as I know, I'm the only person in my year to be going on placement next year. There's been talk about moving to block teaching next year under Education 2030 and my course got an exemption for next year, meaning my cohort will all complete 3rd year as normal under the old system. Under the old system, there was also room for people to complete 3rd year remotely by submitting work from their job or placement (if they had alreadu secured one). This works under the old (current) assessment criteria.

Yesterday, I was told under education 2030 I will no longer be able to stay on at my placement and complete remotely, and i'd be expected to return and sit 3rd year under the new (untested) education 2030 curriculum. This block teaching method is going to drastically overhaul the structure of our course, as previously it's been quite essential to complete modules concurrently in order to retain fundamental skills. So complete module overhaul, i'll be in the "test run" year, i can't stay in my job (which almost every intern for the last several years has done.... so losing a year's salary & paying accomodation costs) and to add insult to injury, i'm the only one in my year this effects as the rest of my cohort will graduate next year.

I feel as though this information was deliberately withheld from me meaning I couldn't make an informed choice about applying for/accepting my place on this placement this year. Had I known, I likely wouldn't have applied and completed 3rd year with the rest of my year.

What are my options? Do i stand any chance of getting some kind of negotiation/exemption? I'm considering calling some other universities that offer my course and seeing if I can move into another 3rd year following my placement year. I'm ****ed off and really frustrated i've been messed around this much by the university and my faculty who failed to communicate this to me until now.

Hi there,
I’m really interested in this discussion as I’ve just read de Montfort University’s post explaining the pros of this teaching method.
I think this discussion is actually really relevant to all students and universities as it’s re evaluating the most efficient and effective way to learn!

At Manchester Metropolitan we have a very active student union. They give constant updates about the universities activities, schedules, learning schemes and events on the daily. These emails are sooo helpful to me as I’m rubbish with organisation. They really keep me in the loop.
Do you think you would have felt more positively about the learning scheme if it was communicated in a different way?

Best wishes,
Emily <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending