The Student Room Group

Will one bad gcse affect uni applications?

So basically I'm in year 12 but am privately doing a gcse in my home language because I need it to apply to one of my top choices (as I didn't do a language originally at gcse) though its not in the UK so not for any ucas applications.

But I'm not really trying to do amazing I'm only really aiming for maybe a 4 or 5 because I just need to pass and also am not completely fluent in my home language.

However all my other GCSEs are at least 7s. I would possibly like to apply to some Russel group unis though the course I think i mainly want to do isn't STEM and does not have the highest requirements among degrees in terms of A levels (like around CBB generally). Though still I'm expecting to apply to somewhat competitive unis

I'm just wondering if having that one GCSE would have a negative effect on my chances to a competitive uni? Do unis care about overall grades at GCSE or only for specific subjects? And either way if the rest of my gcses are quite good would it still put me at a disadvantage?
no - i got a 4 in one subject but other than looking a bit odd on ucas it didnt affect anything dw
Most top Unis will 'score' your overall GCSE profile - but typically they take the top 5 or 8 GCSEs, plus any GCSE 'required subjects'.

This GCSE element will be very small compared to the weight given to A levels/BTECs and your PS, so one slightly wobbly GCSE grade is not going to be a deal breaker.
You'll be absolutely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending