The Student Room Group

Life after CIFAS CAT6

Ok so my 6 years sentence is almost up and I feel very hopeful as it’s been a struggle and I’ve come out of it in a decent position but….I saw a post somewhere saying people are still struggling to open a high street bank acc even with an expired marker. I’m getting really tired of this and just wanna get over this story arch lol and have a somewhat normal financial situation. So my question is what really happens after the marker “expires” and how do you go about getting a high street bank if you can get one? Or am I stuck on monzo for the rest of my days
Original post by katiesendo
Ok so my 6 years sentence is almost up and I feel very hopeful as it’s been a struggle and I’ve come out of it in a decent position but….I saw a post somewhere saying people are still struggling to open a high street bank acc even with an expired marker. I’m getting really tired of this and just wanna get over this story arch lol and have a somewhat normal financial situation. So my question is what really happens after the marker “expires” and how do you go about getting a high street bank if you can get one? Or am I stuck on monzo for the rest of my days

Heard after the cifas marker goes could take a bit longer to get everything back to normal since you haven’t had credit for 6 years so all together could take like 8 years to get back to normal

As you note, just because the marker is gone doesn't mean that lenders will be snapping at your heels to open accounts for you.

Best advice is to have a read of the following guidance, then apply slowly to things rather than spamming every bank or card provider.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score/
Reply 3
Ok so I should focus on improving my credit score, my score is actually very good with Experian just the equifax I’m struggling with. I heard banks hold onto information a bit longer than cifas, I’ll send some emails to cifas to get some clarification.
Reply 4
update: so I've been able to open an acc with barclays + savings, been with them for three weeks now. I think I'm clear (i'll be sure when it appears on the my credit report) and I've been using loqbox to improve my credit it's been working well for me. Just posting my progress since there isnt much out there when it comes to cifas after the 6yrs.
Ok so I should focus on improving my credit score, my score is actually very good with Experian just the equifax I’m struggling with. I heard banks hold onto information a bit longer than cifas, I’ll send some emails to cifas to get some clarification.

Keep improving your credit score and yeah they do
update: so I've been able to open an acc with barclays + savings, been with them for three weeks now. I think I'm clear (i'll be sure when it appears on the my credit report) and I've been using loqbox to improve my credit it's been working well for me. Just posting my progress since there isnt much out there when it comes to cifas after the 6yrs.

That’s good just keeping using Barclays and ride out the 6 years it ain’t that long truss
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7

Your an angel for coming back to shed light on a otherwise bleak situation❤️❤️
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Stacka
Your an angel for coming back to shed light on a otherwise bleak situation❤️❤️

I’m no angel 🙃 just spreading hope, please do the same if you come across someone struggling
Reply 9
I’m no angel 🙃 just spreading hope, please do the same if you come across someone struggling

Most definitely🫶🏾
Reply 10

Hi Katie - any update on the situation with your barclays? Do you still have the account

My cifas gets removed in december and want to start applying for banks straight after
Original post by Stacka
Most definitely🫶🏾

Hi Katie, wondering whether your barclays account is still up and running, how has it been trying to build your credit score? Any advice would be much appreciated