The Student Room Group

Clearing 2022

I firmed Newcastle for Law and have been given a contextual offer for BBB. However, these exams have gone quite well for me so far and now I think I can get higher grades than that. Also, I don't really want to do Law and would rather do something like Industrial Economics, PPE, or any type of economics course which isn't pure. I wondered if I exceed my grade requirements, can I call another university and ask if they would accept me with said grades before I go and reject my firm. Or would I have to reject my firm first before calling unis.
Original post by lakerele21
I firmed Newcastle for Law and have been given a contextual offer for BBB. However, these exams have gone quite well for me so far and now I think I can get higher grades than that. Also, I don't really want to do Law and would rather do something like Industrial Economics, PPE, or any type of economics course which isn't pure. I wondered if I exceed my grade requirements, can I call another university and ask if they would accept me with said grades before I go and reject my firm. Or would I have to reject my firm first before calling unis.

You can call unis before you release yourself into clearing to get an idea if they will give you a place or not but they may not give you a definite answer unless you release yourself. It doesn't hurt to call though!

First of all, phone Newcaste and see if you can switch to Economics etc there.
This is the simplest thing to do and doesnt involve Extra, Clearing etc.

If that isnt possible or doesnt appeal to you, once you have your results you need to check which Econ etc courses are in Clearing - but, its is exceptionally unlilkey that any RG etc Econ course will be in Clearing this year. Only once you have identified a course vacancy and contacted the Uni do you need to go into Clearing, ie. you can phone Unis before this but they can't guarantee/reserve you a place.

Or you could look for courses in Extra now - Politics with Economics at Bath for instance is still accepting application in Extra

Finally, you might like to think instead about a gap year and reapplying to 5 Unis in the autumn with a new UCAS application - this will give the best shot of a an offer from a sensible Uni rather than just 'whats left in Clearing'. You'll also have the chance to vist the Unis and make a more informed choice.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
First of all, phone Newcaste and see if you can switch to Economics etc there.
This is the simplest thing to do and doesnt involve Extra, Clearing etc.

If that isnt possible or doesnt appeal to you, once you have your results you need to check which Econ etc courses are in Clearing - but, its is exceptionally unlilkey that any RG etc Econ course will be in Clearing this year. Only once you have identified a course vacancy and contacted the Uni do you need to go into Clearing, ie. you can phone Unis before this but they can't guarantee/reserve you a place.

Or you could look for courses in Extra now - Politics with Economics at Bath for instance is still accepting application in Extra

Finally, you might like to think instead about a gap year and reapplying to 5 Unis in the autumn with a new UCAS application - this will give the best shot of a an offer from a sensible Uni rather than just 'whats left in Clearing'. You'll also have the chance to vist the Unis and make a more informed choice.

Thank you! I might just wait until July 5 and see if there are actually any clearing spaces for economics-type courses for any Russell group. I'm too impatient to wait another year, so if not, I'll just stay at Newcastle. Also, I never thought of that, I'll try call Newcastle and see if they can change my course!
Reply 4
Original post by PhantomMercy
You can call unis before you release yourself into clearing to get an idea if they will give you a place or not but they may not give you a definite answer unless you release yourself. It doesn't hurt to call though!

Thank you :smile:
Thank you :smile:

The big issue for Economics is that nearly all RG universities require A level Maths and you dont say whether you have that or what GCSE Maths grade you have. That is crucial for Economics but not Law..

I know someone got into Nottingham for Economics last week through extra without Al evel Maths but with a very good GCSE grade.

f you want to swap subjects you woold be better off acting now as there will be less options in clearing and the A level Maths requirement will sti8ll be in place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending