The Student Room Group

Uk gender identity clinic to close

Interesting news. great that th9is particular center is being shut down - shame some of the doctors arent with it - opening new centers around the place is welcome to a p[oint but without a fundamental reappraisal of how they work.. well, bad news through and through. Their current means of working being contrary to any and all scientific best practice, letting patients determine the means of what to do and the outcome..

Where the move came form i'd be interested to hear, unless ive simply skimmed over the details in the article, is this a decision by the NHS themselves or a political one - if it is, no doubt its to try and look more "inclusive" and so on.

My complaints and dislike of their methods aside, if it helps some people in their role of treating transsexuals, more the better.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62335665?fs=e&s=cl
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Replacing it with two clinics with the aim of increasing access and cutting waiting times is certainly a positive step.
(edited 1 year ago)
It will be interesting to see how this pans out in practise. I wonder if it's just a polite way of stopping the provision of this 'service', given that the funding per successor unit will be likely to be small and they will be placed within NHS Trusts that are already stretched beyond their limits in cash terms.

It's been sad seeing the way an adult ideology took over the treatment of what are often just confused thoughts amongst children, especially girls, who are hugely socially pressured currently to reject the whole idea of femininity and young womanhood.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It will be interesting to see how this pans out in practise. I wonder if it's just a polite way of stopping the provision of this 'service', given that the funding per successor unit will be likely to be small and they will be placed within NHS Trusts that are already stretched beyond their limits in cash terms.

It's been sad seeing the way an adult ideology took over the treatment of what are often just confused thoughts amongst children, especially girls, who are hugely socially pressured currently to reject the whole idea of femininity and young womanhood.

Your last paragraph is absolutely spot on.
Reply 4

And I wonder who's fault that is...

One case amongst thousands:

"In the case of Keira Bell. now aged 25, she was prescribed puberty blockers aged 16, then received testosterone shots a year later, and aged 20 had a double mastectomy.

She later changed her mind over her decision to transition to male. She argued the clinic should have challenged her more over her decision to transition."

I don't know about "socially pressured", these children are being systematically indoctrinated.

Employees and those in charge of these "gender identity clinics" are being paid bucket loads too.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by imlikeahermit
Your last paragraph is absolutely spot on.

Women are at their happiest when they're in their feminity.

Men, when were entirely in our masculine.

There's no other way around it.

Of course, there are masculine women, and feminine men... Not denying that, and it doesn't mean they're unhappy - always exceptions to the the rule... But I'm speaking in a general sense.
Original post by Barbu
Women are at their happiest when they're in their feminity.

Men, when were entirely in our masculine.

There's no other way around it.

Of course, there are masculine women, and feminine men... Not denying that, and it doesn't mean they're unhappy - always exceptions to the the rule... But I'm speaking in a general sense.

I completely agree. And I should have perhaps amended my last post to read different because while @Fullofsurprises is correct in his last paragraph that young girls are culturally pressured to reject femininity it’s also surely posted with a tinge of irony given that it’s the left that for so long has insisted on pushing gender theory just for the sake of it rather than simply letting women be women and men be men.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
I completely agree. And I should have perhaps amended my last post to read different because while @Fullofsurprises is correct in his last paragraph that young girls are culturally pressured to reject femininity it’s also surely posted with a tinge of irony given that it’s the left that for so long has insisted on pushing gender theory just for the sake of it rather than simply letting women be women and men be men.

Agreed.

I also agree with FoS' last paragraph, although I believe they're being a tad disingenuous.

*'her last paragraph
FOS is not a male.

I'm female.

There's a difference between adult discussion of gender identity theory (and it's not totally unreasonable to assume that people can decide what their own identities should be as adults) and applying it as damaging and irreversible chemistry to the bodies of vulnerable children.
I'm female.

There's a difference between adult discussion of gender identity theory (and it's not totally unreasonable to assume that people can decide what their own identities should be as adults) and applying it as damaging and irreversible chemistry to the bodies of vulnerable children.

I do sincerely apologise. Spot on with the rest.

It'll likely vary dependent on how much money the NHS gets in general, I suspect. But GIDS had very minimal resources in the first place. If your worry is kids being rushed onto puberty blockers, reducing resources even further will likely exacerbate that.
great news i reckon to expand gender identity clinics for those needing support. current system isn't working.

'LGBT rights group Stonewall said it was pleased the NHS was addressing "unacceptable" waiting times faced by young trans people trying to access gender-identity healthcare.'
GIDS was underfunded and had extremely long waiting times. Hopefully the new centres in London and Manchester will ease those problems and provide adequate support for both those who genuinely want to transition and those who are just 'confused' (for lack of a better word).
Disappointed to hear that two new clinics will open. This shows the problem we have even in Conservative governments in combatting issues like this.

What we need here is much greater access to effective mental health services.
Original post by Rakas21

Totally agree and unfortunately despite lots of promises, funding remains poor for them across the UK.

There are also real shortages of people with the skills and training to be helpful to young people in these contexts. Schools and families often don't have anyone to turn to beyond the equally poorly funded and stressed GP, who in turn is often unable to assist.
Original post by Rakas21
Disappointed to hear that two new clinics will open. This shows the problem we have even in Conservative governments in combatting issues like this.

I don’t think you are right.

The Tavistock became a medical cult; an isolated community of believers in one model of treatment. Those who didn’t believe moved on because in the real world most people don’t want to have to fight their corner at work every day. They were not only intellectually separated from the rest of medical thought; they were physically detached from them in a separate building and organisationally detached from them in that no hospital was directly responsible for them.

One of the most shocking things is that there was no clinical research conducted into the long term effects of these puberty blockers.

Treatment of those seeking treatment for gender identity concerns needs to be in the mainstream of paediatric care. I agree that more effective mental health resources are needed but the people who were going to say “what are the consequences of pumping these kids full of drugs” were going to be pharmacologists not psychiatrists and you find them in teaching hospitals.
Reply 17
Those saying how this sector of the health service is underfunded, im curious why yo think that? and what you think the right amount of funding would actually be? Although, mostly im curious about what you think should suffer to direct the funding to this service? Assuming the government doesnt raise taxes to pay for this (i imagine few people would be happy with a tax rise to pay for sex reassignment surgery etc.) should cancer treatment be cut? Reduce insulin to diabetics or let people with broken bones have double the wait time? Sarcasm aside, i dont see many areas that can see their funding cut where lives are definitely saved//made better against this where lives may/may not be saved - after all its quite impossible to know outside of assuming things
Original post by nulli tertius
One of the most shocking things is that there was no clinical research conducted into the long term effects of these puberty blockers.

It would be interesting to read a detailed study on how this came to be, but it seems clear from sources I've read that the concept that these were 'no-harm' interventions came originally from US pseudo-science being picked up by very considerable mainstream US medical bodies (inexplicably) and portrayed as mainstream from then on. This is still the case - here is the respected Mayo Clinic page, which against much evidence quite wrongly calls puberty delaying drugs 'temporary' and appears to ignore widely known medical and psychological long term harms associated with them.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gender-dysphoria/in-depth/pubertal-blockers/art-20459075

A starting point for NICE and the NHS is to properly examine the medical evidence or lack of it for these 'therapies'.
Reply 19
It would be interesting to read a detailed study on how this came to be, but it seems clear from sources I've read that the concept that these were 'no-harm' interventions came originally from US pseudo-science being picked up by very considerable mainstream US medical bodies (inexplicably) and portrayed as mainstream from then on. This is still the case - here is the respected Mayo Clinic page, which against much evidence quite wrongly calls puberty delaying drugs 'temporary' and appears to ignore widely known medical and psychological long term harms associated with them.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gender-dysphoria/in-depth/pubertal-blockers/art-20459075

A starting point for NICE and the NHS is to properly examine the medical evidence or lack of it for these 'therapies'.

Wasn’t there recently a news article stating that some study/ua government agency had arrived at the conclusion there was no reason to prescribe hormones to children given the risks of them? I can’t find the link (google on my phone is shite) but if memory serves it roughly said that unless the benefits outweigh the harms caused to the body of that treatment then it shouldn’t be used. Given being a transsexual has abaokitwly no physiological harms and pumping young people (or adults for that matter) definitely does I feel it’s quite a rationale conclusion yo arrive at. On the other hand the activists got this particular group will be happy with nothing short of a $1tn budget for gender care and any and all treatments they deem appropriate 1 whilst I’m being sarcastic the sad thing is that’s probably not far from the truth…

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending