The Student Room Group

Care Assistant tips?

So I just applied to work as a care assistant in a care home where I will be working with patients with dementia and alzheimers. I'm a biomedical science graduate and im only doing this so I can gain some care experience before applying to a physician associate masters. Does anyone have any tips as I've never done care work before and I have social anxiety so I don't think I will enjoy it all.... But at the same time I always wanted be a physician associate and I feel like I need to do it so I can have a good chance of getting onto the course
Original post by SongBird2020
So I just applied to work as a care assistant in a care home where I will be working with patients with dementia and alzheimers. I'm a biomedical science graduate and im only doing this so I can gain some care experience before applying to a physician associate masters. Does anyone have any tips as I've never done care work before and I have social anxiety so I don't think I will enjoy it all.... But at the same time I always wanted be a physician associate and I feel like I need to do it so I can have a good chance of getting onto the course

Hey, its funny because I am also a biomedical science graduate, I worked as a care assistant and I start PA school in a few weeks. In terms of the care assistant role, I tend to get anxiety when starting new roles and its just something you just have to start, the first few weeks will feel weird but after that you will be fine and get used to it

I would just say ask for help when needed, you will probably have to shadow for your first few shifts, please let your manager know if you're not ready to go on your own yet and would like to shadow for 2 more shifts or something

I would also say you don't have to do the care assistant role to get a better chance but it helps if you don't have any other experience as its quite an easy job to get. You could work as a volunteer in a hospital, receptionist in a GP or hospital, band 2 clinical roles, anything that will expose you to patients, build up transferrable skills such as adapting communication, providing good service/care, team work

I mentioned my role as a crew member at Mcdonalds to demonstrate working as a team under pressure when practicing for my interview

Hope this helps and good luck with your application x
Original post by Sabobueno11
Hey, its funny because I am also a biomedical science graduate, I worked as a care assistant and I start PA school in a few weeks. In terms of the care assistant role, I tend to get anxiety when starting new roles and its just something you just have to start, the first few weeks will feel weird but after that you will be fine and get used to it

I would just say ask for help when needed, you will probably have to shadow for your first few shifts, please let your manager know if you're not ready to go on your own yet and would like to shadow for 2 more shifts or something

I would also say you don't have to do the care assistant role to get a better chance but it helps if you don't have any other experience as its quite an easy job to get. You could work as a volunteer in a hospital, receptionist in a GP or hospital, band 2 clinical roles, anything that will expose you to patients, build up transferrable skills such as adapting communication, providing good service/care, team work

I mentioned my role as a crew member at Mcdonalds to demonstrate working as a team under pressure when practicing for my interview

Hope this helps and good luck with your application x

Thanks a lot for your advice, I'm planning to work here for at least a year so I can build up some care experience as the university I want to apply for says that experience of working with adults with illness is desirable. Although it is desirable and not essential, I feel like it's going to be too competitive so it's better than not having it ig. I do have experience working in retail for a few months but that's it, I guess I'm just too scared to apply because of the competition. Also do you think it's too late to apply later on? I assume you worked as a care assistant during uni so you would already have loads of experience after uni. The problem is that I couldn't decide what I wanted to do during uni, I tried to get a placement in a lab but couldn't because covid canceled it and now it's hard to get any entry level lab job without experience. I think PA is the only other option I wanted to pursue. but I was too lazy to get experience during uni... Sorry if I'm waffling a lot but thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Honestly, working in a care assistant is the best thing you could do. I’m a nurse and applied for a PA starting this year.
I’ve witnessed first hand medical professionals who cannot provide basic care to the patients and you can definitely notice a difference between those who have and those who haven’t.
You will learn so many skills, my first times working as a clinical support worker in a stroke ward, I found it so overwhelming but now it’s second nature and I’m grateful I entered this career. Ask questions, and observe your colleagues. Treat your patients as you would like your family to be treated, and it is extremely rewarding. It’s tough going but you’ll get there. It enables you to talk to everyone and relate to everyone, and learn about your residents. Plus, for many PA applications they ask for a reference from someone who is able to comment on your suitability to enter the healthcare profession
Thanks a lot for your advice, I'm planning to work here for at least a year so I can build up some care experience as the university I want to apply for says that experience of working with adults with illness is desirable. Although it is desirable and not essential, I feel like it's going to be too competitive so it's better than not having it ig. I do have experience working in retail for a few months but that's it, I guess I'm just too scared to apply because of the competition. Also do you think it's too late to apply later on? I assume you worked as a care assistant during uni so you would already have loads of experience after uni. The problem is that I couldn't decide what I wanted to do during uni, I tried to get a placement in a lab but couldn't because covid canceled it and now it's hard to get any entry level lab job without experience. I think PA is the only other option I wanted to pursue. but I was too lazy to get experience during uni... Sorry if I'm waffling a lot but thanks!

It is not too late at all, because the PA course expensive, time consuming and intense, some people take like 2/3 years break to save up quite a bit of money to pay the rest of the school fees that student finance and the NHS bursary does not cover and maintain yourself throughout the degree and also get work experience.

I also stressed about the competition but the most important thing is to make your application as strong as possible that if there was only 5 spaces and 5000 applicants, you would get one of them. I also tried to get a placement but wasn't able to do so because of covid.

I would say with getting a lab job in the NHS, the best ones to apply for a the Band 2 Medical laboratory assistant roles, and of course you have experience! you have a whole degree in biomedical science! from pipetting to aseptic technique to blood cultures, its endless you just have to make sure you tailor your experience to the role you are applying for. If its for a role in the haematology, talking about your haematology lectures, practicals with blood cultures, that is your experience!

I worked as a Band 2 MLA in the NHS and this was the approach I took when writing my supporting information and answering interview questions
Original post by ark0111
Honestly, working in a care assistant is the best thing you could do. I’m a nurse and applied for a PA starting this year.
I’ve witnessed first hand medical professionals who cannot provide basic care to the patients and you can definitely notice a difference between those who have and those who haven’t.
You will learn so many skills, my first times working as a clinical support worker in a stroke ward, I found it so overwhelming but now it’s second nature and I’m grateful I entered this career. Ask questions, and observe your colleagues. Treat your patients as you would like your family to be treated, and it is extremely rewarding. It’s tough going but you’ll get there. It enables you to talk to everyone and relate to everyone, and learn about your residents. Plus, for many PA applications they ask for a reference from someone who is able to comment on your suitability to enter the healthcare profession

Thank you, I'm a really shy awkward person but I guess I will try and push myself to this!
It is not too late at all, because the PA course expensive, time consuming and intense, some people take like 2/3 years break to save up quite a bit of money to pay the rest of the school fees that student finance and the NHS bursary does not cover and maintain yourself throughout the degree and also get work experience.

I also stressed about the competition but the most important thing is to make your application as strong as possible that if there was only 5 spaces and 5000 applicants, you would get one of them. I also tried to get a placement but wasn't able to do so because of covid.

I would say with getting a lab job in the NHS, the best ones to apply for a the Band 2 Medical laboratory assistant roles, and of course you have experience! you have a whole degree in biomedical science! from pipetting to aseptic technique to blood cultures, its endless you just have to make sure you tailor your experience to the role you are applying for. If its for a role in the haematology, talking about your haematology lectures, practicals with blood cultures, that is your experience!

I worked as a Band 2 MLA in the NHS and this was the approach I took when writing my supporting information and answering interview questions

Hi sorry I know this post was from a while ago but I actually ended up with 2 job offers, one being an MLA and another as a Nursing assistant in a hospital.Both band 2 and same pay/hours. It was a really difficult decision because i really wanted the MLA job but I ended up declining it and taking the nursing assitant role instead because I thought it would be much more beneficial for a PA masters. I'm just wondering if you had any hospital work experience before and if you know what I could expect from this role because I've never had any care experience before and I'm a bit scared because I am a really shy person. Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi sorry I know this post was from a while ago but I actually ended up with 2 job offers, one being an MLA and another as a Nursing assistant in a hospital.Both band 2 and same pay/hours. It was a really difficult decision because i really wanted the MLA job but I ended up declining it and taking the nursing assitant role instead because I thought it would be much more beneficial for a PA masters. I'm just wondering if you had any hospital work experience before and if you know what I could expect from this role because I've never had any care experience before and I'm a bit scared because I am a really shy person. Thanks

Hey, sorry for the late reply

I did not have any clinical work experience in a hospital but I think you made a good choice by declining the MLA role, I think you would find a nursing assistant role very beneficial, and will expose you to things you are going to see later on as a PA student
And it will help you build your confidence too
A few course mates of mine also don’t have any clinical experience and they are doing just fine so don’t worry about that at all. What matters is your passion for the role, your understanding for the role and ability to work hard! That’s all the interviewers are looking for honestly
Hey, sorry for the late reply

I did not have any clinical work experience in a hospital but I think you made a good choice by declining the MLA role, I think you would find a nursing assistant role very beneficial, and will expose you to things you are going to see later on as a PA student
And it will help you build your confidence too
A few course mates of mine also don’t have any clinical experience and they are doing just fine so don’t worry about that at all. What matters is your passion for the role, your understanding for the role and ability to work hard! That’s all the interviewers are looking for honestly

Hi, I think it is good for PA but I feel like I have let go of an excellent opportunity to work in a lab and it might never come again because it is extremely competitive to get these MLA roles!
I also have social anxiety so do you have any tips on how I could do the HCA role when I am extremely introverted and really bad at small talk? I know people skills are important for PA but I'm really scared if I get fired from this role for being too quiet and shy.
Actively avoid petty staff room politics, care is terrible for it.
Take the breaks that you are entitled to.
Don't agree to do overtime because managers are struggling to cover the rota. That is what agency staff are for. There are always staffing issues. Before you know it, you will have no time to yourself.
Original post by BoomBoxBeitch
Actively avoid petty staff room politics, care is terrible for it.
Take the breaks that you are entitled to.
Don't agree to do overtime because managers are struggling to cover the rota. That is what agency staff are for. There are always staffing issues. Before you know it, you will have no time to yourself.

I'm fine with not having time to myself, I'm just slightly scared of talking to patients because I'm a nervous person. Also I'm a guy and care work Is mostly female dominated so I'm worried if I don't fit in
I'm fine with not having time to myself, I'm just slightly scared of talking to patients because I'm a nervous person. Also I'm a guy and care work Is mostly female dominated so I'm worried if I don't fit in

We need more men in care, you will find that some PWS prefer being male care workers. Also- although this is based on stereotype, I have found it to be true- men are less catty and more chilled out than women, so women prefer to work with them instead of other women.

It is real important not to take on too much work because it is a shore fire way to burn out, very quickly.
Hi, I think it is good for PA but I feel like I have let go of an excellent opportunity to work in a lab and it might never come again because it is extremely competitive to get these MLA roles!
I also have social anxiety so do you have any tips on how I could do the HCA role when I am extremely introverted and really bad at small talk? I know people skills are important for PA but I'm really scared if I get fired from this role for being too quiet and shy.

Your people skills is basically a muscle that needs to be worked on in your case and it comes with practice, so having this job will help you do so because it’s important that your able to communicate well with patients as a PA. So see this role as practice for the real thing xx

Hi, how did you find your MLA job? What did you do in it/would you recommend it?
Hi
I enjoyed jt, it was quite different to the typical MLA, as it was in the midst of the pandemic, I was doing Covid point of care testing (POCT). So I would receive Nose&Throat samples from A&E, Resus, surgical unit and the acute medical unit and run it on the SAMBA or LIAT machine. It was very busy and fast paced, did a lot of night shifts. I would definitely recommend the role if you do plan on becoming a biomedical scientist or even if you just have the biomed degree and looking for some extra cash.
Hi
I enjoyed jt, it was quite different to the typical MLA, as it was in the midst of the pandemic, I was doing Covid point of care testing (POCT). So I would receive Nose&Throat samples from A&E, Resus, surgical unit and the acute medical unit and run it on the SAMBA or LIAT machine. It was very busy and fast paced, did a lot of night shifts. I would definitely recommend the role if you do plan on becoming a biomedical scientist or even if you just have the biomed degree and looking for some extra cash.

Ah okay!
Do you have any tips for applications/interviews?
Have good examples for team work, meeting a deadline, working under pressureAnd make sure you have so many examples as to how your degree has prepared you for the job, even simple things like aseptic technique, micro pipetting, diluting, how to deal with spillages. If you are applying for an MLA in a speciality such as Haematology, you can tailor it to that such as blood films, blood type testing etc

Quick Reply

Latest